Video cards

Hi,

I am wondering how these Video cards are made.

I have now studied little bit of Verilog and VHDL - very interesting indeed. I assume commercial video cards use ASICs. But are they defined with the HDL-languages ? I guess yes because otherwise it would be impossible to design them...

Is there anywhere more information how a graphics card is implemented? Is there just one processor or a collection of chips?

Is there available an FPGA board with which you could test on your own? I think it should be like a second screen and you would have one screen connected to a normal VGA-adapter to retain display all the time.

Anyway any comments about this welcomed.

Sells a board which one can practice. But I am after an FPGA-board, which support VGA. Actually one just do the VGA-interface in the FPGA - right?

Best Regards Kari

-- PIC - ARM - Microcontrollers - I2C - SPI Keypads - USB-RS232 - USB-I2C - Accessories

I am just a happy customer

Reply to
Kari Laine

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Look around the Xilinx and Altera websites. You'll find a ton of info about implementing various graphics standards.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Yes. The term to search on is "GPU" ("Graphics Processing Unit").

Most likely.

Not necessarily. There are still a lot of schematics users out there. Don't ask me why, but... ;-)

Sure, there is a lot of literature on the web. Look for white papers on the GPU manufacturer's sites.

Everything is "just one processor" anymore. ;-) In this case, it's a graphics processor.

Sure, this is a common project. You should be able to find such boards with a Google search. You're not going to make anything competitive with nVidia, for instance, but you'll learn a *lot*. Be warned, it's not a small project.

Sure. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Reply to
krw