Using DMM battery to power sensor?

I want to build the gauss meter mentioned in another thread, and would like to make it self-contained (ie, no external battery and regulator). However, the -ve test lead socket isn't hard-wired to the battery's -ve terminal - commoning them doesn't work.

Is it possible to use the meter's battery to power the hall-effect sensor while still powering the meter, such that the voltage from the sensor (0-5V) can be read by the meter? Some trickery with diodes, perhaps?

--
Melodolic Spielberg
Reply to

You'll need to provide isolation e.g using an inverter.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

sure i don't see why not? of course if your trying to get a null effect you may need to use a DC-DC converter to generate a - voltage. all this can be done from the DMM's power source. i suppose one could mod its DMM case to have an extra connector plug for the HALL sensor and mini DC-DC on daughter board inside. i did that to an older meter to add a temp function to it! added the require electronics to read a J type thermo couple . all i had to do was put the meter on the volt scale and turn on the little mini switch.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Righto - looks like a DC/DC converter is the way to go.

--
Melodolic Spielberg
Reply to

I've found an isolated DC-DC converter that should do what I want (3ukp from Rapid Electronics).

That's the basic idea, yes. A 3-way connector for the sensor cable, with all the other bits inside.

I had a look inside the meter I'm going to use, and found the point where the power is switched on, so I'll connect the converter to that.

--
Melodolic Spielberg
Reply to