Using car ignition switch as power button for PCs

I have to puzzle over troll feeders and why you waste everyone's time replying to such obnoxious jerks. Are you lacking a person with which to pleasantly correspond? Or do you troll feed just to develop some minutia of an ego trip? ...Jim Thompson

Because everyone love to bully given the chances and guns? :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!

So does a car's engine stop completely when pulling the key out?

I don't drive. So pardon my question! But I like the turn-key mechanism, as a power button for a PC.

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
   ^ ^   (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10)  Linux 2.6.39.3
???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Awe, come on Jim, just having a little fun after his I'm logging out, I'm logging in posts.

Also if you think he's just trolling, why read the thread at all? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

automobile ignition keys may hve several stop wich are stable positions and usually one stop that operates the starter which is spring-loaded

off , radio on, engine on, starter but starter has a spring that return the key to the engine on position

if you use the starter contacts to mimic the start button that's probably the best fit, or you could buy a key-switch with momentary contacts.

eg:

they key will be smaller as it doesn't need to operate mechanical door or steering locks, but the lock just needs a round hole cut in the computer case. car parts are likely to need a special bracket.

Jasen Betts

When the key rotates from to , would the engine be turned off instantly? I don't drive...

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
   ^ ^   (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10)  Linux 2.6.39.3
???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):
Mr. Man-wai Chang
[have editied some typoes]

yeah, that cuts the power to the circuits that operate the engine

Jasen Betts

Ok, I have stayed out of this because I thought it was stupid, but now I kn ow for sure.

First of all, unless you weld the case together, anyone can find the two pi ns that need to be shorted momentarily to turn your normal PC on. And if yo u deny them physical access to the box itself they can get to the wiring an ywhere and do it.

You can have a BIOS password to keep it from booting ANY OS, but usually, a t least in the old days that could be thwarted by removing the CMOS battery . Then you can have a password on the OS, which can be hard to break these days. The tricks we used on XP do not work anymore and neither do these app s you can download off the web.

One thing that does seem to work is loading Linux, by stick or CD, it can a ccess the personal files unless they have been encrypted. Most people do no t encrypt all their files. For one, there is no reason. someone can read my resume' ? So what ? Another reason is that it slows the whole system down. You buy a $3,000 gaming system and encrypt all files it will run like a $4

00 Walmart special or worse. Maybe like a 486.

Only, ONLY, if you know and use Linux can you bust the file protection of W indows, and that is only if it is not encrypted.

Anyway, you are climbing up the wrong tree. You put a key switch on a PC, I can beat it with a paperclip.

The End.

Reply to
jurb6006

It is a bunch of bullshit, but alot of people are doing it, even you. Even me once in a while.

Reply to
jurb6006

What about electric cars? Same design?

-- @~@ Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!! / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! /( _ )\ May the Force and farces be with you! ^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3 ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Understand. But it's still fun to do so! :)

-- @~@ Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!! / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! /( _ )\ May the Force and farces be with you! ^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3 ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

Mr. Man-wai Chang

many cases can be secured with an ordinary padlock such that there is no access to the indide without damaging the case, some have a key lock securing the case already.

if you can pick locks, perhaps.

Jasen Betts

My first had has two wires to the iognition switch, it was charged by a generator. I'm guessing that the regulator took the generator out of the circuit when the ignition was turned off.

the starter knob operaters the starter switch which was wired between the battery and the starter brushes.

Jasen Betts

problably similar.

Jasen Betts

Yes, it had to or the generator would kill the battery. It is not necessary now because the alternator has rectifiers that prevent that.

Many may have forgotten that back in those days if you didn't polarize the generator you might have a positive ground system and never know it.

The blower motor for the heater (if so equipped) might not be a permanent m agnet type, so it will run the same direction. It doesn't matter which way the wiper otor ran (if so equipped, some used vacuum). The light bulbs didn 't care. Ad even the radio would work because it may have used battery volt age for the filaments of the tubes, it used a vibrator for the B+ and that would be + no matter what polarity of voltage was applied to it. The spark plugs still sparked just fine. It may have bothered your cellphone charger but...

Reply to
jurb6006