Using car ignition switch as power button for PCs

Is it possible? I know it's too fancy... ;)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!

What are you going for ?? Troll of the month ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Just wanna modify a simple but boring computer chassis. :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Why?

Computer just sits there, turn on the ignition and a relay supplies power to the PC.

Then - you'd probably want to keep it on after the ignition goes off? for a time?

Reply to
default

I didn't write my question carefully. I just need the turn-key mechanism to replace the power button. :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Screw that. How about using a Frankenstein-style knife switch! Steampunk, baby!

Reply to
JW

Then go to the auto parts store, buy one and install it. There problem solv ed. DUH!!

??! ???! ???! ? ????! ????? (CS SA):

Reply to
Ron M.

Of course nowadays many cars have "suprise!!" a pushbutton startup.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

absolutely, pc power button has two contacts that make a circuit when you press it. find something suitable in ignition switch. the power buttion is circuit is 5V so voltage won't be a problem.

Jasen Betts

The turn-key mechanism is actually a safety measure. That way, you would not accidentally hit the power button.

The Elan-Vital T5-AB ATX Tower chassis I bought many years ago had a power button that require a twist before a push.

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

That's what she said!

Reply to
JW

Most Hollywood movies portrayed the turn-key mechanism as superficial. You always only needed to short 2 wires to start a car. :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

What "she"? The manual? :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

[face palm]
Reply to
JW

Yeah, that's always a hoot where they just rip out the wiring and short it out (must have arcing though). We used to have a model here where you could just reach under the dash ans drop a coin across the back of the ignition switch and away you went.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

In Cantonese, the sound "she" can actually mean a book. :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

?!

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mouser and Digikey have Key switches for a few bucks, do you really need a Car ignition switch? Mounting is a problem

Martin Riddle

The power switch for computers are momentary, not latching so that key switch isn't what you want.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I can't tell, are you logged in or logged out?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx