Using a Transformer on 220 v Appliance

I've got a girlfriend in the Philippines who wants this fancy Kitchenaid Mixer that cost a fortune. They hae 220 over there but these mixers if I buy here are much cheaper. Its that the cheaper ones are made for 110 volts. Everywhere i see about these it says using a transformer won't work and I can't think of any reason this is true. So i'd like some help on where I can get the 110 for only $200( plus a transformer) here or pay $400 for the 220 volt rosco

Reply to
Butter

probably reason why they say that is thier boss told them not to make promises they don't understand.

the domestic 110V supply in your house comes from a transformer out on the street somewhere.

unless the frequency of the mains is important using a large enough transformer will work. most motorised kitchen appliances have (noisy) universal motors and these motors don't need a specific AC frequency.

on the boilerplate of the appliance it should sat how many amps the appliance needs, multiply that figure by the voltage (115) to get the minimum VA rating for the transformer.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Could it be something to do with using a rectifier to reduce the speed, with the danger that the resulting DC component of the current could saturate a small transformer and start a fire?

Chris

Reply to
christofire

By the time you pay for the transformer large enough to operate that and the shipping to get that and the mixer to that country, you'll be better off just getting her that 220 model with the price at hand.

Its cheaper to pay the $400 bucks!.

"

Reply to
Jamie

FWIW, the Phillipines uses 60Hz.

Reply to
Nobody

Who mentioned RECTIFIER. There is no rectifier in a simple transformer, and no imaginable problem if the transformer is big enough and of the correct ratio.

That said, the OP should just buy one local and forget the hastle.

John G

Reply to
John G.

Did I say there was a rectifier in a transformer? Duh.

You appear to be unaware that one of the cheap methods of reducing the speed of a universal motor is to connect it to the AC mains via a rectifier ... and that's a separate part rectifier. So my question stands.

Chris

Reply to
christofire

If you use a real transformer it will work, but a real transformer might be more expensive than the unit. Probably they're using "transformer" to refer to some voltage-limiting circuit that munges up the waveform of the mains, which messes with the speed controller's brain.

Here's how to tell: If you can lift it with one hand, it's not a true transformer.

Or, you might try a 220V triac lamp dimmer set at half, but that would have to be tried. It could be tested in the US on the 240V that's available between the black and red wires.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When I was in Thailand in the 1970's I got a 220-110 autotransformer for about fifteen bucks.

She might be able to find something like that at a surplus shop.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm afraid this is the conclusion I've come to also. All this money for some silly Food Toy. Its $400 and I'm afraid to ask shipping Rosco

Reply to
Butter

--
Why not find a place that sells them in the Philippines, but it online
and have them deliver it to her?

JF
Reply to
John Fields