Uses for diodes

Other than as a simple 'one-way current valve' in a circuit, what other purposes can diodes be used for?

Reply to
Chris

Here're some ideas:

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

Temperature sensors light detectors (photodiode) light sources (LED) switches (double balneced mixer) RF detectors Zener type diodes go both ways.. ... more....?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Through-hole diodes can be used as staples. But only if you're desperate.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

When you need to drop 0.7V (or multiples thereof)... Voltage multipliers.... Clamping voltages for input protection.... I'm sure there's a load more I can't think of right now.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Oh yeah! Almost forgot reverse polarity protection.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's kind of a "one way valve" application, though.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Really crappy logarithm-maker.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hmmm. Arguable that one.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Variable capacitor. Step-recovery pulse generator. Temperature sensor. Variable resistor. Frequency multiplier. Oscillator. Amplifier. Mixer. Overload protector. Voltage reference. Current source. Light detector. Solar cell. Light emitter. Heater. Cooler. Power source. Paperweight.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

yeah, I just love getting them stuck in my feet along with dips

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

and let us not forget Variac Diodes!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

** Yet another of your idiot trolls.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ohh man... I totally forget about TEC's. Diodes are awesome! I sometimes feel I'm almost ready to move onto transistors.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No one else has mentioned:

Gate (usually multiple diodes as in DTL, but you can sum pulses and rely on the turnon threshold, so a single diode does majority-logic as well).

RF switch

High-Z parametric amplifier input elements (use the voltage variation of capacitance and balance a bridge).

Reply to
whit3rd

they are also good noise sources when applied properly..

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

In ther early 1970s, one of my friends got his Ph.D. studying the noise from a germanium diode.

Reply to
jfeng

I didn't see this one mentioned: shunt regulator.

Reply to
ehsjr

So... is he still single? ;)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Suppositories for anally-retentive rodents?

Reply to
Chris