use of American AC POWER ADAPTER in France?

Hello,

This is pretty simple. I have a Samsung AC Adapter for my laptop computer. I am using it for the first time in France and have been plugging it into a standard 50 watt transformer to convert the electricity from 220 to 110.

I notice however, that printed on the computer's AC Adapter is:

Input: 100-120V/200-240V ~ 1.6/0.8A 50/60Hz Output: 16V ------3.75A

Is this designed to be able to be plugged in directly in both the U.S. and in Europe?

I'd like to be using the one transformer that I have for something else, so if I don't need to use it with my computer, that would be great. But, I don't want to plug in the computer's power supply directly without being sure that it will accept the 220v (obviously).

Any info would be appreciated.

Best! HM

Reply to
harrisonmarshall

Yes, I will have to get a plug converter, blades to pins as you say. But otherwise, electrically, its good to go? This is what I suspected, but not knowing anything about electricity I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your response!

HM

Reply to
harrisonmarshall

I think all I need is a plug adapter so that I can just plug it in (see Don Bruder's response). There is no switch on the computer, but it looks as thought the AC adapter will accept either 110 or 220 and convert as necessary.

There is no other power cord. The adapter has two cords, one exiting at each end; one terminates in the plug and the other is inserted into the computer. It appears that both are permanently joined to the adapter.

I'm going to try it and hope that nothing fries.

-HM

Reply to
harrisonmarshall

Hi, Your supply was definitely designed to run on 220/50 or 120/60. How you make the change is the question. Is there another power cord that fits the Euro power? Is there a switch on the unit? Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

It's simpler than you realize, I'm thinking :)

From what you say about the label, it's electrically good to go. Plug it in directly (If it's physically compatible with french style sockets... You may need some sort of adapter - blades to pins, pin/blade position/number/orientation, etc - for that part), and it should "just work".

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Short form: I\'m trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn\'t contain a password in the

There exist power adapters with a range from 90 to 250 V input, so if it is marked on the unit it should work.

Reply to
Martin D. Bartsch

Before I just plugged it in, I'd look very carefully for a changeover switch, somewhere near where the mains power cord enters the brick. If it's there, it'd be a little rectangular recess with a slider at the bottom, with a slot in the slider so you can switch it (it's a slide switch with the knob lopped off) with a tiny screwdriver.

It should also be marked 110 on one side and 220 on the other (or something to indicate the range). If there really is nothing like this, and it really is clearly marked like you said before, then it should work. Worst case, you'd only blow the fuse anyway. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise