USB Mechanical Switch?

How does this solve your problem?

Reply to
flipper

Here's one on steroids!

Martin Riddle

Maybe I'm missing something in the problem description but seems to me you can just leave them both plugged in all the time. Set the PC Speakers as your 'default' sound device in Windows so it operates 'normally'. Then tell Skype to use the headset and, in the third option, ring 'all devices' so that comes out the speakers too in case you're not wearing the headset when a call comes in.

Reply to
flipper

The headset is plugged in, but not active. Press the button, they go active. No grappling to get it plugged in, button on edge of desk. ...Jim Thompson

I already have a "plugable" brand 7-port (powered).

I've spent the week unsnarling cables. Ended up with nearly a bushel basket of un-needed cables :-)

I guess that's what happens over the years as you just ADD things on ;-) ...Jim Thompson

This particular box drops speakers and outputs to a headset anytime it senses the headset., which is just fine with me... I use the headset for YouTubing when the wife is still asleep. ...Jim Thompson

OOOooh, now I get it.

Reply to
flipper

Follow up. Here's a little hotkey program to switch between the two so you could just leave it plugged in.

flipper

Here's a sys tray icon version (Windows 7 only)

flipper

I had a "soundswitch" program on the old machine... a nuisance trying to apply it, when all I want is to grab the headset and answer the call by punching the switch. ...Jim Thompson

You wouldn't use it for answering a call since you'd set Skype to always use the headset. It's only for redirecting 'PC' audio for when you want that through the headset.

Reply to
flipper

ideally you want the power-supply contacts to close before the data contacts but usb enumeration is fairly slow so an ordinary 3p2t switch would probably work.

But as others have mentioned this is really a software configuration problem (unless you have too few sockets to leave everything connected all the time)

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I've got an analogue headset plugged into a Y adaptor that it shares with the speakers, when I want "less noise" I just turn the speakers off.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Jim:

USB Cable Color Code:

Red = VCC Wht = DATA 1 GRN = DATA 2 BLK = Ground

Break VCC, switch there.

The PC might, in rare cases, get annoyed. The USB widget is supposed to initialize the PC port for device type and current draw. If the laptop type PC sees your widget as a current draw with no talk, it can power down the port. I have used a few that do, but most do not.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts

Ha! I'm surprised it's not a remanufactured printer switch box with a rotary switch and silkscreened areas on the bezel to "label" your ports.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Jim,

you just need a standard DPDT switch to switch the data lines.

David Eather

Did it this way...

Hard to see, but there's a pushbutton on top (the white dots between connectors). With only one PC plugged into the output side, the LED only lights when the headset is active.

Now to neaten up the desk, then go buy some Montepulciano d'Abruzzo ;-) ...Jim Thompson