USB Drive is putting noise on TV?

Hi All,

I have a PVR (something like Tivo) connected to my home theatre system that can connect to an external USB hard disk for storing movies. I bought an external hard drive and connected to my PVR and things are working fine. The only problem is as soon as I connect USB drive (On or Off) to my PVR I see noise lines on my TV. So some how Drive's adaptor (that generate 5v and 12v) is putting noise on everything. Is there anyway that I can put a capacitor somewhere to get rid of that noise?

Thanks in advance,

Homer

Reply to
Homer

That's my bet...welcome to the world of SMPS's.. Try looping the power (and USB) cords through a ferrite donut/core a few turns...

Reply to
PhattyMo

If the power supply is inside the box, a possible quick fix would be to 'shield' the external box with aluminum foil. Just take out all of the electronic components from the box, and line the insides with a layer of tin foil (using glue or whatnot).

That would be the first thing I would try.

Reply to
Mark

Circa Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:20:52 -0700 recorded as looks like Homer sounds like:

Try plugging the hard drive into a different outlet than the one powering the television, preferably one on a different circuit.

Try changing the physical location of the devices, perhaps the interference is generated through the air as opposed to through the wires.

The ferrite bead idea is worth a try, they're cheap enough. I wouldn't recommend randomly inserting capacitors into devices and transmission lines.

Reply to
Charlie Siegrist