Two questions about multiple EM fields in the same space

Multiple electromagnetic fields can fill the same space simultaneously as long as they have a different vibrating frequency. An example of this is the fields present in sunlight, which can be separated with the help of a prism. This is different from material objects which cannot simultaneously fill the same space (except perhaps in some cases).

A couple of questions about this:

  1. what is the minimum difference that must exist in the vibrating frequencies in order for the fields to not conflict with each other?
  2. why does the vibration frequency make a difference? What I mean is, what aspect in the structure of the Universe causes two fields with different frequencies to be able to co-exist in the same space?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
S Claus

that depends on how you measure them.

If there was no difference only a single wave would be detectable. the two become one via a process called wave superposition,

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Tune your radio...."medium wave" if you live in USA, (they still use WWI technology) All those radio waves fill space without influencing each other.

The Universe has strange aspects, does it?

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

It? 1 / oo?

Yep, one wave with infinite, continuous spectrum. At least I think that's what superposition yields.

Tressie.

Reply to
Trespasser

or even the same frequency.

Define "conflict"? Sure it's harder to tune into one radio station if there is another on the same frequency but it's not impossible. For example they could have different polarisations.

It doesn't.

Reply to
Cwatters

Multiple electromagnetic fields can fill the same space simultaneously even if they have the same frequency and don't vibrate.

Androcles

ok...I must say, thanks all of you who have replied to this thread. I surely learned something. I thought that the EM fields were able to "co-exist" in the same space only if they had different frequencies.

I surely did not know much did I:-P

Reply to
S Claus

If you drop a pebble in a pond it makes ripples. If you drop two pebbles you get two sets of ripples and they pass through each other, existing in the same space at the same time.

If you are a little dragonfly travelling with the ripple then the ripple has no frequency at all, you stay with the crest. Thus frequency is relative, it is different for different flies in relative motion.

Reply to
Androcles

In this respect it is similar to sound waves: You can have a lot of different sounds at the same time, and they just add together to give the overall total sound.

But when sounds (or EM waves) of identical frequency are added together, there is no way to tell the originals apart anymore... you just have a single sound/wave at the summed amplitude. You can say that the originals are still "co-existing" (as contributors to the total) or that they are now gone and replaced by the total. The key point is that you can't tell them apart anymore, like you could if they had been different frequencies.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v4.51 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Bullshit. No one had digital AM transmitters during WW1, and we don't use the term "medium wave" in the US. Harris' Broadcast Division builds modular digital AM, FM and TV transmitters in the US, and ships them to customers around the world. Their modular concept allows them to continue to operate at reduced power when a tray is damaged, or has a complete failure. Additional trays or racks can be added, if the station's needs change and the transmitters can be maintained by station staff, if they have to.

Please do try to keep up with the facts.

Michael A. Terrell

None. EM fields don't interact. Photons pass through each other regardless of wavelength.

See above.

John

[snip]

That didn't last long. Hey git - orthogonal standing waves of identical frequencies.

Zero. Direction counts.

Erect a straw man, get splinters.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Neither did any of us before we learned it. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You're a rare commodity around here - most googlies ask a question and you never hear from them again!

Welcome to the zoo! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Not quite... Most googlies ask a question, fight the answer and you wish you'd never hear from them again! 'Faced with changing one's mind, or proving that there is no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof.'- John Kenneth Galbraith

Reply to
Androcles