Truck Starter/solenoid/battery help

Consider metallic ion transfer during a DC arc. It may not be unbalanced pressure causing one contact to appear to wear more than the other.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Young man, in my day it was $22 for an alternator. Mikek

PS, I remember selling gas at 18.9 cents a gallon.

I also remember my dads 51 Chevrolet pickup truck with the broken fuel gauge. He would buy $1.00 of gas every time he drove it. One day I was with him and he couldn't get the full $1 in the tank, we had quite a giggle! It had over 300k miles on it, and he painted it with a paint brush under the neighbors shade tree. :-)

Reply to
amdx

Does that mean I am old too? I remember gas at 20 cents a gal. I remember one day my dad drove up to the pump and it went up to

25 cents, you should of heard him pissing and moaning! :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Hmmm, in *your* day are you sure it wasn't a generator? ;)

I have a friend like that. He bought a truck in 72 and just stopped driving it a very few years ago when rust had so badly eroded the chassis that he felt it was no longer worth repairing... and this guy had been a welder most of his life so that was saying something.

I remember going to see him one day and he was making an exhaust pipe for his brother. He was turning the lip where it would mate to the exhaust header. I was pretty impressed. If he didn't have a tool he needed, he would make one.

--

Rick
Reply to

I looked online for a rebuild kit for my alternator and I did not find any. eBay lists a couple for the 4 cyl engine in this truck, but not my

3.4 V-6. That rebuild kit didn't include the diodes anyway, only bearings and brushes. I guess I'll be stuck with buying a rebuilt one. Too bad, I would like to tear one apart.
--

Rick
Reply to

Yes, I see that would give me the same voltage measurement. I'll keep that in mind if the problem resurfaces.

I probably can, but it will be an non sightable connection, that connection is hidden between the solenoid and block.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

What is the core charge? How much is an education worth?

Reply to
Tom Miller

Pretty steep, $80 I think. Why? Education is fine, but if I can't find the parts to repair it with, what can I expect to learn?

I think the diodes might be in the regulator module which may be inside the alternator, not sure. They show a picture of the regulator, but don't indicate where it fits into the bigger picture. It could still be external to the alternator, but if so it likely doesn't include the diodes.

The bottom line is I need to fix my truck tomorrow.

--

Rick
Reply to

Go to an auto elecric supplies place, they'll have diodes.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

no, they'll be in the rectifier module which is often inside the altenator. (if there's a fat cable from the altenator to the battery)

how fixed do you need it? if you're not using the headlights just charging it daily may be enough until you can rebuild the altenator.

you'll want fan and water pump of course, which may mean you need to put the altenator back before it's fixed.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

unlikley. starter windindings are a single turn, and the brushes contact several lands. more likely worn brushes.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Yeah, I typed "auto elecric supplies place" into Google and didn't find much. I did find NAPA who has the rectifier. They want $133 for an alternator or $144 for the rectifier...

I expect I'll just get an alternator.

--

Rick
Reply to

THen they are filling you with bull shit, most likely because they they have the alternator and need to order out the diode pack.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Who is "they"? The Internet? eBay?

--

Rick
Reply to

"They" , the associates at the parts store you found the diode package.

They don't cost that much.

I would be willing to bet if that was your experience then maybe they are trying to discourage those like yourself from rebuilding their own alternators so they can keep the local rebuild shop in business and profits high for both.

The local rebuild shop around here actually change the button and trio pack diodes, they normally do not do the preassemble pack, as it cost much more. They are very skilled at popping out the old diodes themselves. I've done one myself. Other types are pressed into the case, those come with a wire coming out one side, also cheap.

Years ago I purchased a bunch of diodes for alternators, the single end wire types and made a heat sink for them to be pressed into. It was a low voltage high amp supply we needed and I can a colling fan on it. They diodes were cheap gotten that way.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Duh, but I can't buy something I can't find anyone to sell.

I think they are trying to make money. This was a web site, NAPA. I think they don't give a rat's ass what I do or anyone else. They buy stuff, mark it up and resell it. I only wish I could find a local rebuild shop. There used to be one where I grew up. In fact, I worked there for a bit. They went out of business many years ago. How much money can you save paying someone to rebuild your alternator when you can install a rebuilt one and not have to wait the several days to get yours rebuilt?

Their main customers were private repair facilities like the limestone quarry or the school board (buses). They sold *very* few to individuals.

I have yet to find anyone local who does this.

--

Rick
Reply to

They call that lack of skill set in your area.

Our local shop not only does that but they also rewind for high price units. That also includes starters.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Try the yellow pages.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Don't.

Ground strap? The negative battery cable should go to the engine block. The strap is to connect the engine to the chassis.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell