Transistor substitution

Vce (sat) is 3.2 volts at 240 amps.

Bill Bowden

So what's that, about 750 watts of waste?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

If you are switching 1700 volts at 240 amps, that's about 408000 watts. What percentage is 750 out of 408K?

Bill Bowden

** With a Vce sat of 3.2V at 240amps, is way better than a high voltage mosfet.

Try to find a 1700V mosfet with an on resistance of 13 milliohms.

IGBTs have taken over in multi kW SMPS and motor drives because of this.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

what?

Do the math..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Grin, Most of the time if I use a transistor it's go an opamp wrapped around it. I've used the 3904/06 pairs too, but at one time I had issues with the 3904's doing some HF oscillation/ ringing.. I added Ferrite beads some more base R, waved a dead chicken over the circuit and it worked. I found the 2n4401 worked just as well, and didn't need the dead chicken. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold