Transistor as a current limiter

The common emitter circuit I suggested earlier: (View using a fixed-pitch font)

. V+ . | . [R2] . | . [LED] . | . C .Von--[R1]--B NPN . Q1 E . | . GND

Allows you to use a voltage way below V+ for the PWM control (Von) you want to implement, with absolutely no speed penalty, and by choosing R1 properly allows you to make beta variations in various Q1's irrelevant.

For example, if you were to use a 12V LED supply and an LED string of

4 LEDs with a drop of 2.2V per LED with a current of 20mA through the string, the circuit would look something like this: 9.1V / .+12V>--[R2]---+ . |A . [LED] . | . [LED] . | . [LED] . | . [LED] . |K . +-- ----------+

With Q1's Vce(sat) equal to about 0.3V and the drop across the string equal to about 8.8V, what's left for R2 to drop is about 3.3V.

With 20mA through the string the value of R2 would be:

12V - 9V R2 = ---------- = 150 ohms. 0.02A

With 20 mA through it, a 2N3904 will have an inherent beta of over

100,:

but for our purposes, if we drive the base with 10% of the collector current we'll force the circuit to have a beta of 10, no matter what, which will get rid of any of the issues surrounding "suicide" biasing. Assuming Von is a logic level which varies from 0V to 5V, and that Q1 has a Vbe(sat) of 0.9V with an Ic of 20mA, then R1 has to drop 4.1V with 2mA through it, which comes out to 2050 ohms.

2000 ohms is a standard 5% value, and would be fine for R1.

For R2, 150 ohms is a standard value, and with 20mA through it it would dissipate:

P = I²R = 0.02A² * 150R = 60 milliwatts,

so if you're using thru-hole parts a 1/4 watt package would be fine; likewise for R1.

--
JF
Reply to

"Jon Kirwan" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Suppose Q2 slipped through non reversed?

Don't worry about your brains. Without them you couldn't make a mistake :)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Of course there are ICs for every purpose nowadays, but "buy this chip" is kind of a boring solution to anything.

Besides, I'm not convinced that the examples you show are ideal for my purposes.

This is a boost converter intended for Li-ion batteries. I don't think step-up conversion buys me very much if I work with a 12 V power supply, already enough to drive several leds in a series.

This is a switching current limiter. It sounds great, but since it's expensive relative to leds, one would ideally run it from mains to ensure it runs a maximal number of leds. Unfortunately dabbling with mains power directly is illegal for hobbyists where I live. (Also, I wouldn't dare touch it even if it weren't.)

This looks more like what I need:

It controls 32 led chains of 13 V each. However, it has lots of extra features and costs 10 bucks, far more than 32 cheapo transistors. Also, it's surface mount. I'll stay with through-hole for the time being.

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway.

Lauri

Reply to
Lauri Alanko

I actually caught that mistake, right away. Note my self-reply shortly after?

Hmm. An argument for being a machine, perhaps. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 08:13:30 +0000 (UTC), Lauri Alanko wrote: . . .

--- If you're going to be using tens of chains in order to turn on some total number of LEDs, then you'd be well advised to use a higher LED supply voltage with more LEDs in each chain than for 12V.

For example, with a 24V supply and 2.2V LEDs, you could string ten LEDs in series, drive them from the 24V supply, and still have about

1.7V of headroom if you used the common emitter circuit I posted earlier where Vce(sat) for the switch was
Reply to
John Fields

I understand the advantages of higher voltage, but I have decided to stick with 12 V, since 12 V power supplies are cheap and ubiquitous, and I'm not comfortable dabbling with higher voltages yet.

I don't even know which leds I'm going to use yet. The ones I have currently are too directional. I also don't know yet how many I'm going to need. I intend to experiment and see how many I need to add until it looks good to my eyes.

The idea is to make gadget that glows in different colors. The leds will be surrounded by a diffusion shell. It doesn't need to illuminate an entire room, but I certainly want the light to be noticeable.

I'm now considering using 0.5 W leds. They are probably a bit less efficient, and won't spread the RGB colors quite as evenly, but at least there's less wiring. Heat might be a problem, though. We shall see.

Lauri

Reply to
Lauri Alanko

--
Then you've wasted our time by asking for help by stating that they'll
drop 2.2V?

"Not knowing" which LEDs may be used emphasizes the need to be able to support more than one series chain, since you don't know how many you can get into one series chain and the lighting effect may drive the total number of LEDs needed. A flexible design approach may then be an option worth considering.

So I don't think time was entirely wasted. Though a better focus would certainly help select between design tradeoffs.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Here's a mosfet version of the generic current limiter:

R1 can be most anything, 5K maybe. The current into the LEDs is about

0.65/R2. The supply voltage and LED stack should keep Vd above maybe +2 worst case.

The mosfet needs to be a logic-threshold part. What PWM voltage do you have available?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I merely gave an example calculation, with realistic sample values, to demonstrate my concern with the circuit in question. I hoped to emphasize that this was merely hypothetical by using words such as "suppose", "load would be", "if we designed" etc.

Besides, in the same example the supply voltage was 12 V, and that didn't prevent you from suggesting otherwise. Surely there was nothing to prevent you from suggesting different leds, as well?

In any case, I don't see how anyone's time has been wasted. All the replies I've received have been most pertinent and educational, and the circuits I've seen seem useful regardless of whether one plugs in four 2.2 V leds or three 3.6 V leds per series.

Lauri

Reply to
Lauri Alanko

I didn't feel misaligned. (Well, I'm a hobbyist anyway.)

In any case, this is the 'basics' group. Does a question have be asked as though it were framed by an expert here? No. And you framed the question better than many I've seen (and some that I've asked.)

So... are you going to try something out? Or will this remain hypothetical for a while?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

"Jon Kirwan" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Missed it completely. That's to say my newsserver did. Now you mentioned it, I found it in Google groups.

My IP, though "the best IP of the country," considers its newsserver as experimental so it comes without any guaranty at all. Sometimes my own postings do not show up even if wrote on that actual server.

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Thanks for the note about it. Yeah, I get it. Nice you caught it, too. I might have missed it myself and that's a good catch from you!

After my internet service (Verizon) decided to remove from their contract, unilaterally and without my permission of course, NNTP services... I pretty much was forced to "go find something." I'm paying 10 euros (despite being in the US) per year for a service offered in Europe and it appears to be working well these last years (fast.) news.individual.net.

Seems to get everything I care about, perhaps except for alt.binaries.schematics.electronic. I have to just live with that for now.

Well, at least you HAVE a newsserver with your internet service.

I grew used to the idea that my internet service is supposed to provide the usual suite, including domain name services, mail, and NNTP. Traditional, I had thought. You take the good with the bad to get the business. But it's really a monopoly, so... they can take the good with the good and sell off the bad.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Having read some of the suggestions, I notice very few of the minimalist solutions I favour.

The minimalist 1 transistor current source: give the transistor a fixed base bias (like the Vf of a LED) and ground the emitter via a resistance (the value of which determines collector current). If current tries to increase; the voltage on the emitter resistor creeps upward and cancels some of the fixed base bias - which acts to regulate the current.

Its that simple.

Reply to
Ian Field

I think that was already in the OP's original, very first post... along with some comments from the OP in that same post that showed thinking going on about it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

perhaps next year send $50 to astraweb and receive a terrabyte of usenet with no use-before date.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Hmm. On first blush, that sounds like a lot. But when I think about what a terrabyte will likely mean to me... hmm. Do they carry binaries like alt.binaries.schematics.electronic? (I guess I can go look and find out... but if you already know, I wouldn't mind your opinion about it, too.)

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I meant "a lot of money." In case that wasn't clear.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Just looked at the site and it's not clear what they carry and what they don't carry. I'll have to email them about details, I suppose.

Also, I used to get unlimited NNTP, a few email accounts, access to their dial-up "56k" modems, and a shell account for $10/month in a bundle. (Did NOT include my ground line at the home, of course.) The ground line cost me $45 per month, then. (And I had to buy my own modem, of course.) That was more than 15 years ago.

Now I still pay for home fiber on three optical wavelengths if I can believe what they told me. Phone service, broadband, and internet access. Then I pay for NNTP, separately. And pay for shell accounts, a name on name servers, and email as a bundle, separately. And I pay more, of course.

My NNTP access has to be around a megabyte or so per day. Unless the protocol is totally stupid and intentionally inflates packets with random garbage, it can't exceed 10 meg per day. I don't do news server binaries, except perhaps the electronics one. 1000 gig would last me a while, I imagine. I might die before I get my money's worth. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

ABSE is pretty much a dead group with occasional political rants from JT - even JF is having trouble finding people to rag on!

Reply to
Ian Field