Touch switch

Hey all,

I need some advice on a basic touch-switch.

I'm hoping to make a "Dance mat" for a computer game I play: This is four 20x20cm touch sensitive pads arranged in a cross formation, attached to a flat board or foam mat and laid on the ground. You play the game by putting your feet on the right pads at the right time. I'm disappointed by the life and reliability of commercial soft (fabric-like) pads, and cannot obtain a commercial hard pad, so I want to make my own.

The capacitive touch sensors I've seen on the 'net look unsuitable, as the electronics are too complex (I'm just a beginner! :)), and I'm worried that they may be more like proximity switches than contact switches (In the game, it is just as important to be not standing on a pad at the right time as standing on it, so if it detects a hovering foot, it would be a disaster).

The design at:

is attractive as it is so bloody simple :). However, I have some questions. My pads' sensing areas will be prototyping circuit boards, with every second row forming one contact and every other row forming the other. I want my touch pads to replace the buttons on a butchered USB hand-held joystick - I suppose that the joystick will expect a circuit to be completed between two contacts when the button is depressed, with low (practically no) resistance. So is it reasonable to arrange my circuit like this:

How do I choose my MOSFET? Can I adjust the sensitivity of my touch pad?

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

--
http://www.sherlocksoftware.org
Reply to

Everything is a compromise . . .

Both of the contact sensors you show are simple and should require an actual contact unless the environment is very noisy (electrically). You have to have conductive shoes or bare feet. But you'd have to build it to find out. Perhaps static electricity will trigger them. Eventually the things would stay on because of dirt ground into the sensor grids or a spilled drink.

You could lower the sensitivity by decreasing the value of the resistor from the gate to the source.

Capacitive sensors are nice. If you plan on jumping up and down on these things it might be more comfortable to include a resilient pad - and that's where I think the contact sensors would work against you.

If you want a resilient long lasting surface something like closed cell polyethylene foam would be ideal - and it has the additional advantage of being hard to compress. Capacitance increases as the plates get closer together - use a foam pad and it should be possible to make it only trigger when the foam is compressed.

If it has to last a long time and be relatively bullet proof a capacitive switch with a foam dielectric pad and perhaps a harder thin plastic like vinyl on top of that for water proofing and wear resistance, would be the best idea.

If you are just interested in trying something out and it isn't for a commercial application the touch sensor is simple cheap and easy.

Them's the choices . . .

Or a photo electric light curtain close to the surface.

Or retro reflective proximity switches.

Or how about just include a photo sensor in the mat - your foot blocks all the ambient light and the thing triggers? Relatively simple to implement for a beginner. The sensitivity could be high so that you'd really have to occlude all ambient light to get it to trigger. It could be used with hard or resilient surfaces. Easy to incorporate sensitivity. Down side might be dirt changing the sensitivity over time.

Or an air table type surface with a pressure switch. You block the flow from a small air pump (aquarium type pump?) and the pressure rises and switches a switch.

Mull it over for a time; there's probably lots of ways to do what you want.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Here's another idea. Use open-cell foam under a hermetically sealed surface like vinyl sheet. One steps on the vinyl compressing the foam (or other spring) driving the air out of it - the air is in a sealed chamber and travels to a pressure switch or sensor via a plastic hose.

Simple, should be reliable, liquid and dirt proof, cheap, easy to understand.

The whole surface could be vinyl with a half inch of plywood under it. Circular cut outs in the plywood form air chambers. Voids in the plywood edges sealed with epoxy. Routed channels for the air hoses connecting the chambers to switches. Vinyl glued to the bottom surface to seal it.

I like it . . .

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Or piezo electric buzzer disks epoxied to a 1/4" steel plate to keep them from flexing and breaking. Cover the disks and wires with tape and then a vinyl sheet. High output pulse when they are compressed - would need some amplification but still really simple to do.

Cheap, bullet proof, easy to build.

Lots of ways to do this . . . most of them better than a contact touch switch.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Going with the piezo idea I searched on electronic drum pads and found this

Scroll down and look at the drawings of the pads themselves. Another nice thing about the idea is that it would probably work with the mosfet touch switch as the amplifier circuit for the piezo disks. You'd have to observe polarity to get it to trigger when pressed and not released but that's easy enough. So, if you build the contact circuit and don't like the way it works, it would be just a matter of connecting some piezo discs to the inputs.

Cheap piezo discs can usually be had from all electronics

Just the first that turned up in Google there are bound to be others (this one .75 each or $6.50/10)

Some basic ideas on how to solder to them etc.. They also show some audio pre amps - for on/off switches you don't need anything that complicated (one transistor or op amp would be plenty)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

How good are your wood-working skills?

You could build a low platform with 20x20 pieces of 3/8" plywood mounted on springs and have a microswitch under each block of wood.

The wood would be supported at each corner with a spring that has a bolt through it to hold it at the maximum desired height - this also allows leveling the wood pieces to match.

The bolts would be attached to the wood block and be a slide fit in the platform base.

Stepping on the wood would press it down against the resistance of the springs, operating the switch underneath.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I've dreamt up most of the ideas you suggested already :) (It's a fun challenge, thinking about this). Capacitive sensors sound great, I might build the resistive sensor first (It also has a very simple physical layout) then try out some of your ideas for capacitive sensors.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

--
http://www.sherlocksoftware.org
Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

Slim to none, unfortunately, otherwise a simple switch would be a great option :). Thanks anyway.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

--
http://www.sherlocksoftware.org
Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

Have you seen this web site?

and if you can battle your way through Spanish (or the Babelfish english translation) the Dancepad here might give you some clues

Ross Herbert