Tide table audiograph

I was looking at a tide table to find minus tides during the daytime to go poke at creatures and I thought that the fairly regular wavelength would make some very boring music. If you sped up the frequency from days to kHz and had feet represent either volts delivered to a speaker, or actual sound waves you would hear something. Probably a very regular tone that varied more in volume than anything else, but you could always process the signal to make it more interesting.

Would anyone have a hint for a scheme to capture online tide table data and then a (free)program to convert it to usable audio? I know this is a ridiculous project, but it's not a good day to go fishing.

Stumpy

The graphs are jpegs, the tables too. and the tables don't have evenly spaced samples.

It's probably easier to find the generating function and use octave or matlab or a spreadsheet or something like that to convert that to samples that can be converted to wav.

At ~1Khz 2012's data is going to get you

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I know the data has to come from elsewhere. 2 tides a day for 365 days would make a very short MP3 at 1kHz. It would take almost 7 years data to make a 5 minute "song". I bet NOAA has data from back quite a few years.

Reply to
Stumpy

Maybe Mr. Google can help? Yes!

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Ha! If I could do math those formulas could feed an amp directly. I wonder if Octave or Matlab mentioned above can input formula 17.16?

Reply to
Stumpy

I'm not real knowledgeable about tides, but in our local bay the dc component changes with season and the amplitude is modulated by prevailing winds and I assume barometric pressure. Then you can throw in the wake of small fishing boats, large container ships and a few Navy vessels, including hovercraft. Hey, I have a very musical area! It seems without these other effects the tune would get repetitive. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Certainly. However, Table 17.2 has the period and amplitude of the constituents already worked out, so it's really just a matter of summing each over time.

If you want the actual tidal predictions for a non-ideal Earth and at a particular real tidal station, it gets a little trickier.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Aha! Take a look at

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I can't visualize table 17.2

Also don't understand "important concepts" at the end of the chapter.

a.. Tides have six fundamental frequencies. The tide is the superposition of hundreds of tidal constituents, each having a frequency that is the sum and difference of five fundamental frequencies.

Reminds me of the function of a theremin which only uses 2 frequencies. Time to give up.

Reply to
Stumpy

Holy crap - someone already did this.

Thanks much for finding such a weird audio artifact.

I can get back to whatever I was supposed to be doing.

Reply to
Stumpy

Here's one, kind of cool:

John

Ok, so this is silly as hell...

This is what it sounds like when you play the six tide-generations on the bottom at the same time...

Reply to
Waz Bazbo

So is posting a binary to a non-binary newsgroup, (sci.electronics.basics).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Sorry, thought I was posting it to mp3.experimental only. Have a bran muffin, relax, pull the stick from your ass... see? The world still turns!

Reply to
Waz Bazbo

The world also still turns after murder and genocide; so that is hardly an applicable excuse for small transgressions. :)

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku