temperature for shrinking heat-shrink insulation

Looking at heatshrink insulation in catalogues, I typically see specifications like this:

Operating temperature -20° to +135°C Shrink temperature 120°C

Hot-air guns, however, always seem to have a low setting of 300 to

350°C & a high setting of 500 to 600°C. Am I right in thinking that the right way to shrink sleeving like the one quoted above is to use such a gun at 300 to 350°C, quickly and from the right distance?

What's the right distance?

How about the risk of damaging semiconductors in the vicinity of the heatshrinking operation?

--
It is probable that television drama of high caliber and produced by
first-rate artists will materially raise the level of dramatic taste

You may be over-thinking this. Get a couple of feet of shrink tube and your favorite hot air gun and try out a few representative tests. I think that you'll find that it isn't hard to gauge a good working distance that shrinks the tubing without melting or charring it.

In a pinch, an ordinary butane lighter and some moderate dexterity does the trick.

For really big jobs, there are nozzle attachments that partially wrap around the cable to distribute the hot air more evenly. With smaller stuff it's usually sufficient just to move the air around to heat all sides more-or-less the same.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

It wouldn't be the first time. :-)

I'm asking mainly because I haven't bought the sleeving & gun yet, so I want to make sure I get suitable equipment.

--
"Mrs CJ and I avoid clichés like the plague."
Reply to

Besides, shrink tubing is pretty robust. You almost can't overheat it. I vaguely recall a part we had to shrink wrap very tightly over two diameters, almost beyond the tubing's capability. By applying very high amounts of heat --almost an open flame-- we were successful. The tubing held up beautifully under this kind of abuse. You can, in fact, destroy shrink tubing, but it takes some effort. ;)

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Reply to

This kit (link is Mouser but also at Digikey, Newark, etc.)

may be a good place to start, then. I have a similar kit that I use at home -- may be the same kit but they had a slightly different hot air gun at the time I got mine some years ago. The picture at Digikey is closer to the one I've got.

If you're doing something like big-ass shipboard cable then you'll want a correspondingly larger hot air gun and a deflector but for "ordinary" use, the small gun in the kit above will work just fine and is less likely to set the carpet on fire.

Also, 100 ft reels aren't terribly much more expensive than the onsie-twosie little pre-cut pieces in a kit so if you're using a lot of a particular size, get it in bulk.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Just hold the gun on it until the tubing shrinks, then stop.

Rotating the part once the tubing starts to shrink helps a lot -- otherwise you'll overheat the near side, and not shrink the far side.

Of course, using a fancy adjustable gun with a nozzle specifically made to direct air all around a tube works, too, but takes the challenge out of things. (It's what I'd buy if I needed to do the job frequently).

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Sounds like an interesting side-experiment. ;-)

--
It is probable that television drama of high caliber and produced by
first-rate artists will materially raise the level of dramatic taste
of the nation.      (David Sarnoff, CEO of RCA, 1939; in Stoll 1995)
Reply to
Adam Funk

I'm just going to be playing around, not producing anything on any serious scale.

--
...the reason why so many professional artists drink a lot is not
necessarily very much to do with the artistic temperament, etc.  It is

Thanks. Mainly I just wanted to make sure --- before buying a gun with 300 to 350°C setting --- that I wasn't getting the wrong tool for this.

--
Two of the most famous products of Berkeley are LSD and Unix.
I don't think that this is a coincidence.

You can get cheap heat shrink & a gun at places like Harbor Freight, to get started.

Michael A. Terrell

--
Get the cheapest hot air gun and the cheapest heat shrink tubing you
can and you'll be fine.

Just use a lighter or hold it over the toaster.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

That's the kind of practical advice I can use.

;-)

--
"Gonzo, is that the contract from the devil?"
"No, Kermit, it's worse than that. This is the bill from special