Teaching Transistor Theory

I've just had a pedagogic revelation! Here it is:

Transistor theory is much more effectively taught if explained as a

*discovery* (which it was) than as an invention (which it never was). All these decades I've been wrestling with this conundrum and all it took to clear things up was a handful of these amazing mushrooms. Yay! :-D Okay, I was joking. But seriously, think about it. The concept is far more effectively absorbed by students if presented this way.
Cursitor Doom

What differnet would it make to teaching? Gravity was a discovery too.

The point-contact transistor was discovered while making deliberate efforts to create a transistor.

The junction transistor was a deliberate invention.

lunatic fringe electronics

Ahem..

"William Bradford Shockley Jr. (February 13, 1910 ? August 12, 1989) was an American physicist and inventor. Shockley was the manager of a research group at Bell Labs that included John Bardeen and Walter Brattain. The three scientists were jointly awarded the 1956 Nobel Prize in Physics for 'their researches on semiconductors and their discovery of the transistor effect.'"

Cursitor Doom

So they discovered oil and started building cars. Big deal.

And what's this approach bullshit ? Just explain how the thing works and th at's that. Who Shockley was means jack shit. Where it happened means jack s hit. When it happened means jack shit.

The principle that needs to be taught - bipolar transistor. You put current through the base emitter junction and it causes leakage from the collector . ALL TRANSISTORS ARE COMMON EMITTER, only its orientation with respect to common is what changes.

Ohm's law, f*ck all that sigma this and delta that. Your car has two headli ghts. They pull 3 amps each because they are four ohms with 12 volts on the m. That adds up to 36 watts because watts are amps times volts. When you ha ve two of them in parallel it is still 12 volts but now that pair of them i s pulling six amps because two four ohms in parallel comes to 2 ohms. So 12 volts times 6 amps is 72 watts for the pair.

One paragraph. Who cares who Ohm was, or Watt, or Volta. Who cares how many columbs in an amp. Who even cares if you are paying attention to electrons or holes ? Suffice it to say there are two polarities.

Are you teaching someone how to design transistors ? I kinda doubt that.

One guy I taught uses it all the time at work, and makes more money than me , GRRRR.

e same as inversion. Try it with a sawtooth buddy. And they teach you about car batteries, the acid the ions and ll that shit. Fuck it, just charge it and shut up. When it doesn't take a charge either put epsom salts in it or buy a new one. Do I have to be a chemist to fix a Marantz amp ? (well actu ally there was this one...some other time)

Transistors. someone invented them. We got them. They work like such...and you order them online from like Digikey or Mouser, or actually Newark has b een better on a couple of things. Bam. Want to know who figured it out ? I don't know the guy, and he is dead. That's it.

When i was younger I had what was called a science encyclopedia. One of tho se send you a volume a month. I read it cover to cover EXCEPT the bios on i nventors etc. Later in life I got interested in that and read those. I foun d it interesting. for one, many innovators and inventors were either off th e boat or first generation here. AND, even in the old days, some of them li ved to be 80 or so. See, human life span has not gone up, the AVERAGE lifes pan has. It does not mean the same thing, it just means less people get kil led now. And now we're overpopulated, see, the old way was better.

Reply to
jurb6006

I had lunch with Walter Brattain; nice old guy.

They were=trying to make a jfet

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Lucky old Walter. I'm *still* waiting for my invite but it seems I'm not important or interesting enough!

Cursitor Doom

It's probably too late to have lunch with Walter. But I'll buy you lunch or beer any time you're in the neighborhood.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, that was the bet, after all. But then you promptly moved lock, stock and barrel to San Francisco! You know I'm homophobic, so that's why you moved. All that upheaval and expense just to avoid buying me a burger and a beer, you rotter! :-D

Cursitor Doom

I've been in SF about 40 years. When did we make a bet? Did I lose?

The gay thing isn't a big deal here any more; it was wild when I arrived, pre-AIDS, and I lived in the Castro back then. Now it has breeders pushing baby buggies around.

We were having a beer at a lesbian bar on Courtland, Wild Side West, and I stepped away from our table for a minute. A straight guy tried to hit on Mo! She was kind of flattered.

My next-door neighbor is gay. He lets me use his chain saw.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Late 1990s and yes, you did lose.

I assume you kicked his arse. - sorry- "ass"? I assume you kicked his sorry ass?

Some of them are fine. It's the 'in-yer-face' types that grind my gears.

Cursitor Doom

Bipolar.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sexual ambiguity and a mood disorder to boot! They need therapy bad.

Cursitor Doom

What about the JFETs ? They can go positive or negative. Sounds manic depressive or schitz to me.

Reply to
jurb6006

lunatic fringe electronics

Haha! Very good, John. But I recall you posted that several years ago. Must have made an impression on me or I wouldn't remember it. ;)

Cursitor Doom

here.

AND, even in the old days, some of them lived to be 80 or so. See, human life span has not gone up, the AVERAGE lifespan has. It does not mean the same thing, it just means less people get killed now. And now we're overpopulated, see, the old way was better.

Where's "here"?

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"