Tar on the LCD screen of my VOM

A worker was setting up to tar some roof cracks on my bench on the garage today. My VOM was nearby, and later I noticed 3 spots of tar. Each less than 1 mm. Maybe 0.3 mm. I tried using my finger nail to get the biggest one off, but no effect. Paint thinner? ?? Forget it?

Reply to
W. eWatson

Tar remover, from an auto parts dealer.

Michael A. Terrell

It may attack the plastic. To OP:Put the unit in the freezer and then try to pick it off.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Leave at room temperature.

Well Isolated From Sparks or Open Flame, Snap on some rubber gloves.

Grab some scrap terry cloth (Not paper) towels. Work outside or with excellent ventilation. Open your trusty can of naphtha and put a little on the corner of your towel. Rub tar off, occasionally changing the towel surface.

Naphtha (Coleman camping fuel) works better than magic and does not harm plastic, though it will suck the oil right out of your fingers if you allow personal contact. See note about gloves.

--Winston :)

Reply to
Winston

That could work. I'm wondering whether warming the area might soften the tar enough to let you get at it...

--
Living in LA is like not having a date on Saturday night.
		-- Candice Bergen

flux remover

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

WD-40

Reply to
Bob Villa

....or Ronson lighter fluid.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Reply to

Try thin machine oil ("3-in-1"), that won't damage the (probably acrylic) window. If that doesn't work, try gasoline. Don't use benzene, acetone, paint thinner, etc, as that *will* damage.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

--
WD-40
Reply to

Yup. Expensive by the gallon that way, though.

Charcoal lighter fluid will probably work as well:

'Stuff is extremely volatile and flammable. Use outdoors with adequate personal protection and safeguards.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I thought he had 3 specks on an LCD screen, not gonna de-asphalt his driveway. ;)

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Reply to

Naphtha is an amazing cleaner.

I took three dried eggs off my car door in only a few minutes using naphtha a few weeks ago. It left the finish untouched.

'Would have been difficult to do with anything less.

Once you discover naphtha, you find all kinds of uses for it.

:)

--Winston

--

pile  --the heart of Compiler!
Reply to

I'll give it a shot in the freezer. Yep, "attack" is likely the outcome.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Who threw the eggs at you?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

My car was the target, not me.

I don't know who decorated my car.

I assume it is just kids enjoying a few harmless, innocent 'youthful indiscretions'.

My neighbor across the street got her car door egg'd the same way a month earlier, so I don't think it's personal.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Mineral spirits, then maybe Windex.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You don't dump the meter into it. :) He didn't say WHERE the tar is on the meter. If it's on the soft plastic over the display, the tar remover should be fine. If not, denatured alcohol and a Q-tip may work, but slowly.

Everyone else was suggesting Naphtha, which is a petroleum distillate like the tar remover.

Michael A. Terrell

I thought it was a coal distillate, coke oven byproduct.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

It works a treat!