Supply Voltage vs Voltage Rating

I have a speaker which is rated at 100V, yet the supply voltage is

115V. The speaker works fine. What's the deal?

Cheers,

Anon

Reply to
Anon Email

It is good that you put this in the basics group where it belongs

What system is this part of?

Hifi loudspeakers are usually rated by power and impedance. Loudspeakers for public address systems are usually "100volt line" types.

A loudspeaker is driven by an amplifier. Inside the amplifer the AC mains electricity is converted to DC, typically in the region of 50volts. The average output voltage of the amplifier varies with the volume of the sound that the system is producing. There is no direct relationship between the voltage of the mains electricity supply and the voltage produced by the amplifier.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" Anon Email

** The OP has a powered speaker - likely Chinese.

On the back it says 100V cos it is made for Japan or other place with that power voltage.

Probably got it on eBay.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No, I bought it in Japan when I was there, and took it home with me. I bought a transformer which transforms from 240V (I'm in Australia), to

115V. I couldn't find a transformer that transforms down to 100V specifically. The speaker works fine at 115V. Am I likely to blow the speaker if I up the volume too much?

Japan is a bit weird, they have voltage supply at 100V, but the current frequency is 50 or 60 Hz depending on the region. From what I've read on the Internet, a difference of about 15% in the supply voltage is OK, and the current frequencies will not affect equipment that's not sensitive. I also noticed that the desktop computer I used to use in Japan was rated at 115V - I was curious as to why this didn't blow the power supply. Am I right about the 15% acceptability range, or was that incorrect info?

Cheers,

Anon

Reply to
Anon Email