Spice power source?

I'm kind of stuck on making a 50 ohm power source in Spice (instead of just using the voltage or current sources). I would like to make a

50 ohm power source with a Pout of 0dBm. I realize I have to use the Spice voltage source with a series 50 ohm resistor, but do I set the voltage source to 632 mV or 316 mV in order to get a 0dBm Pout (in a fifty ohm system)?

Thank You,

Bill

Reply to
billcalley

Thank you Andrew for the great answer -- it really cleared it up for me.

Bill

Reply to
billcalley

The voltage across the load will be half the generator voltage. Don't get confused between peak and rms.

Power = Vrms*Vrms/R = Vpk*Vpk / 2R

Generator voltage = 632mV (peak) Load voltage = 316mV (peak) Load power = 0.316 * 0.316 / 2 / 50 ~ 1mW

Reply to
Andrew Holme