speakers' cable

Hello, I would have a question about speakers' cable.

Many people (not only sellers) are convinced that with a special (and very expensive) speakers' cable they get a "sound" better, many others think the simple electric wire is same.

I wonder that's suggestion, or is truth? Are there cables better then others? What do you think about that?

have a nice day

-- MEMENTO AVDERE SEMPER Giovanni (Italy)

.
Reply to
Vexator

No. Use the fattest copper wire you have available which is also flexible enough for the application. At the least this will stand a lower chance of being broken. If you are running long distances, fatter is definately better. Any other wire characteristics for audio frequency is nonsense.

:Of course, audiophiles are free to make up their own minds, :without the aid of science or engineering. : Chris Foley : As happens all the time. 8-)

Reply to
JeffM

Hmmmn. Vexator is described in latin as "one who distresses, a troubler, harasser, vexer" (Lewis & Short). Does this have meaning?

16 gauge zip cord from the hardware store will do as well as "Monster Cable" for any speaker made for home use.

There is no non-trivial _measurable_ difference between regular copper wire and "oxygen-free" "Monster Cable" for transmitting audio frequency power to speakers, as long as the wire gauges are the same size. This is true using any electronic instrument to make the measurement. And in all true "double-blind" tests (swapping all other components as well as the speaker wire on a random basis) of any significant sample size, there is no "non-measurable" audible difference as determined by "golden ears".

Of course, audiophiles are free to make up their own minds, without the aid of science or engineering. The purpose of listening to music is to obtain a pleasurable experience, which is inherently subjective. Someone's listening experience may be enhanced by the subjective satisfaction of knowing they spent $100+ USD on speaker cables. Then, in fact, the mystical power of conspicuous consumption is an improvement for them. Just don't call it measurable and don't call it science.

Chris

Reply to
CFoley1064

  1. Vexator

Much like an annoying rash that won't go away unless surgically removed. Generally someone who resorts to the "I know you are but what am I" type of reply when they're feeling even slightly threatened. The Vexator being insecure about his manhood usually brags about his car and likes to party with his common loser friends who also don't have girlfriends.

Somebody should just shoot that poor Vexator and put him out of his misery.

Source: StingRay, Mar 28, 2004

I think it's one of those internet games figures. But the OP might know it better, especially as he seems fluent in Latin.

I agree with Chris. Someone on rec.audio.high-end has put a couple of thousand $ up in case you are able to distiguish between a RS-style zip-chord and any high-end cable in a double blind test. This challenge has been up for a couple of years already, but AFAIK nobody even tried yet. Maybe the vexator could train at home already, without girl-friend he should have some time at disposition.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

--
For looong runs it wouldn't hurt to look at the dielectric constant of
the jacket and the spacing between conductors.

Ban, thank you very much for your technical reply.

My manhood is right, my girlfriend is beautiful.... But your life, what is? I think it's poor, otherwise you would not waste your time to write that bosh! If you've a problem I knon a good psychiatrist!

Thanks very much again and you always help me with your wisdom, and excuse me for my little penis.

Have a good day Ben

-- MEMENTO AVDERE SEMPER Giovanni (Italy)

. "Ban" ha scritto nel messaggio news:Dwi2d.332451$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.tin.it...

of

has

should

Reply to
Vexator

hey, I just copied the second page that came up in Google

seems it has triggered you quite well. If you choose a name like this for yourself, you should know the meaning apart from the personality of the computer game, which you identify with. :-))) ciao Ban

Reply to
Ban

12/2 romex. Can't be beat.

John

Vexator posted:

Reply to
Dbowey

--
Yes.
Reply to

yep! Now I understand! Sorry Ban, I've been hard with you. Again, I had not understood.

I don't know many slang words. :-)

Ciao!

-- MEMENTO AVDERE SEMPER Giovanni (Italy)

. "Ban" ha scritto nel messaggio news:4Vj2d.333047$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.t> > Ban, thank you very much for your technical reply.

Reply to
Vexator

thanks for reply,

your

Here we say: "furto senza passamontagna".... namely: "robbery without balaclava".

ciao

-- MEMENTO AVDERE SEMPER Giovanni (Italy)

. "Dbowey" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m02.aol.com...

your

signals

Reply to
Vexator

can you get cable made with an 8 ohm characteristic impedance?

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.
Reply to
andy

I was wondering about whether I could make my fortune trying to kid audiophiles that it made a difference to their sound quality, that's all.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.
Reply to
andy

--- Sure; it's easy.

All you have to do is come up with some authoritative sounding techno-babble liberally sprinkled with musical-sounding crap:

"By soft-drawing the multiplicity of oxygen-free high-conductivity copper strands before silver plating them and laying them up as cables, the cubic crystallinity of the copper grains is disrupted, allowing the signal to make a more graceful transit between the amplifier and the speaker. This will result in a more accurate presentation of the program material on the sound stage with none of the harshness associated with granular copper stranding."

And on and on...

-- John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

I thought John Fields answered that question rather well.

--
  Keith
Reply to

--
But you can't get it...
Reply to

But why in the world would you WANT such a thing?

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

0 Ohm in the cable is always best.
Reply to
Ken

I am always amused when this subject comes up. People seem to forget that the signal, on it's way from amplifier output to speaker, passes not only through, say, 6, 8, 10 feet or so of cable but also passes through many YARDS of plain old 18 gauge enamelled wire in the cross over network coils. The speaker cable is a small percentage of the total wire length in the signal path. Even if, and I stress the word 'if', 'monster' cable were sonically superior, you would never hear the difference.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Alforo