Speaker Source Selection

Good Afternoon,

I have what I believe not to be a unique situation. I have three amplifiers, and a set of speakers. I need each amplifier for something different (ones the big home one, ones my personal one and ones because my personal one doesn't have any aux in. Each has 8 ohm speaker connections.

I need to be able to connect each of them, with a seperate volume control, to the speakers. My Intention was to use 3 Pots (the double ones) - one connected to each amplifier and the two speakers connected to the outputs of these. Will this work? And what Pots will I need?

Please - any help would be greatly appreciated. If anybody has any recommendations, or needs clarification please don't hesitate to contact me.

Lachlan

Reply to
lochok

Use a 4 position 2 pole switch.

--

The simplest way is with a switch - A rotary with two poles and three positions - or with stereo, I'd use four poles and three positions - you may not have to switch the speaker common (ground) connections - but it is safer to do so.

but it is sounding like you'd want all three program sources there at the same time. For that you need a mixer feeding a dedicated amp and then driving the speakers.

You could (conceivably) use "speaker volume controls for each amp to the speaker" The name for these is "T" pad (a type of control that keeps the impedance constant while the sound level is controlled) T-pads and L-pads (their cheaper cousin) will still allow some of the program source from one amp to feed back to another amp and that can cause damage.

In any event that is not the recommended way. Predicting the likely hood of damage would depend on a variety of factors like the amplifier specifications and how much volume you need and how foolproof it needs to be.

default