Speaker id needed

This is from a cordless phone.

I think it is a speaker.

Phone uses 2.4 volt battery.

I was wondering if it would work in a 9 Vdc circuit?

AK

I think this is really the speaker. On the board it was marked bz.

Applying 3 volts made a low volume sound.

Andy

Reply to
AK

150 ohms 30mW

9V would overload it by about 10 times

view this diagram in fixed pitch

speaker

\ / 100uF 9Vp-p -----[ ]--[100R]--||--. | ---

but with 100 ohms and a 100uF capacitor in series it should be able to handle a 9v peak-to-peak signal (like from a LM555 or LM386)

Jasen Betts

I think you'd really benefit enormously from reading this book alongside your construction efforts. It's about THE best book for those new to electronics and despite the dumb-sounding title it does actually venture into the slightly more advanced topics of resonance, reactance, impedance, phase-shift/trig etc. You can probably pick up a good used copy from Ebay for 5-10 bucks.

Cursitor Doom

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm referring to *this* book:

and not any other with the same or similar name.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I am currently reading Practical Electronics for Inventors.

Cheapest used copy I found for Understanding Basic Electronics was $21.

I could get it in a couple of weeks.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Sorry, I did not see this post before I posted.

Andy

Reply to
AK

On 5/27/2019 10:45 AM, AK wrote: ...

This link by C-Doom is $4:

Bob Engelhardt

You might want to look at

especially the listed ones under "Consumer Electronics" and "Hobbyist Publications".

I got started on Popular Electronics and Electronics Illustrated. They are probably dated, but the Don Lancaster Cookbooks were very popular.

Reply to
jfeng

Abebooks.com has it for $3.88 with free shipping.

default

Thanks. I just ordered it.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Getting started in Electronics [Forrest M. Mims] [PDF]

Available on bit torrent:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:cd5f709cb5e0331af38e4460f07b5b850f368005&dn=Getting+started+in+Electronics+%5BForrest+M.+Mims%5D+%5BPDF%5D&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

Only 128 pages, very basic and entertaining to some extent. His series of books are in the same spirit (basic and interesting)

Reply to
default

Wish I'd had it myself 60 years ago, but there was nothing of that sort around back then; not in the UK anyway. I had this crazy notion (though it *seemed* perfectly self-evident to me as a beginner) that given a chain of resistors in series between two poles of a battery, that the current through each resistor as you go down the change would diminish. After all, it *must* do, I reasoned, otherwise the resistors wouldn't get warm and run the battery down. That sounds daft to me now, but back then, if someone had told me the current was the same through every resistor I wouldn't have believed them!

The book I suggested prevents readers from making elementary errors like that by clearly setting out the cornerstones, the rock-solid foundations of the science that you NEED to build on in order to learn more.

Cursitor Doom

  1. > >> >

ng+started+in+Electronics+%5BForrest+M.+Mims%5D+%5BPDF%5D&tr=udp%3A%2F%2F tracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorren t.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracke r.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

Thanks. Mr. Mims printing is excellent.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I like his learning while doing approach and schematics with values already calculated.

There's a complete collection on bit torrent, and the one on opto-electronics would be beneficial to your efforts. He recommends a light baffle (tube to eliminate ambient light) at 5X longer than the diameter.

Reply to
default

I used a pvc pipe about 3 inches long. It eliminated ambient light problems.

Reply to
Andy