Speaker efficiency?

Since I will be playing a low wattage tube amp through speakers it
seems that high efficiency speakers are in order. How can I tell the
efficiency of a speaker from looking at the specs?
Thanks,
Eric

Re: Speaker efficiency?
If a big speaker is inside a BIG box , it will be useful.

Those small BOOSE boxes are not.

Re: Speaker efficiency?

First and foremost, you need to be comparing speakers by identical units
of power. There are some very bizarre and totally misleading figures
quoted by certain manufacturers to make their speakers appear more
powerful than they really are. One you've got that straight, you can
begin to compare power consumed vs. sound pressure generated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure

Re: Speaker efficiency?
On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 19:47:18 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

It looks like all the speaker specs I have seen don't have enough info
to tell how efficient they are. None say how much sound pressure they
produce per watt consumed. I just wanna buy online. I live on an
island and loathe going over to the mainland to shop. Traffic and
crowds make me uncomfortable.
Eric

Re: Speaker efficiency?

Hey Eric, Can I ask why the tube amp obsession?  If you're interested
in how they work, then you could fix up some old one or build your own.

George H.

Re: Speaker efficiency?

A surprising number of people find the subtle 2nd harmonic distortion of
a valve amp to be very agreeable.

Re: Speaker efficiency?
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 18:05:59 -0700 (PDT), George Herold

It's not an obsession. It's just that I need a new stereo because the
old one crapped out. The stereo will be in the area where we entertain
and so it should look pleasing. To me at least. I have always exposed
tubes, ever since I was a little kid. We had a big tube radio with a
mafic eye tuner tube and I loved that. My grandfather was a sound
engineer who worked for Bell Labs. He had a sound lab in one room of
the house and when we would visit the grandparents I would always get
to check out his lab. There were several oscilloscopes as well as
equipment with exposed, glowing tubes. So that's why I want a tube
amp. It needs to sound good to me and look good to me. It's gonna be
connected to am MP3 player so it's not like I abhor silicon. If I had
the time I would build one. And maybe down the road I will. Tubes are
way different than solid state stuff.
Eric

Re: Speaker efficiency?

"Tubes are way different than solid state stuff."

Hi Eric,  well first I know almost nothing about tubes,
and not much more about audio amps driving speakers.
But I've heard that tubes are like Fets.  And (being
a class A type of guy.) for Fet's you have the things like
the Zen Amp (Nelson Pass). And I'm thinking you could do
the same thing with a tube... run it class A, and with the right
output transformer ('cause of the higher voltage for tubes)
You are done.  (class A is easy to make and understand.. it just
wastes boat loads of power.)

Comments from audio types welcome.

George H.

Re: Speaker efficiency?
On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 06:56:30 -0800 (PST), George Herold

I am looking at class A amps. And the amp will help heat the house in
the winter. It never gets too hot here on Whidbey Island so the extra
heat in the summer won't be a burden.
Eric

Re: Speaker efficiency?

It is more a matter of what makes you feel good.  Tubes are nice with
their cheerful glow and well-behaved characteristics.  I understand
their esthetic appeal, and having grown up with tubes I do miss
building tube amps.

But if sound matters, you'd be hard pressed to build a better amp than
the Nelson Pass Zen amps, particularly some of the iterations that
have refined the basic Zen.

You will still generate heat... AND if you want, you could use one of
the designs that uses big 100W incandescent lamps for the positive
resistance coefficient of tungsten to supply the ballast to the
current regulator for Class A.  Check out some of the Pass designs
that people have built, some are downright sexy.  Building from
scratch takes longer and is more rewarding... any idiot can slap
together a kit.

Re: Speaker efficiency?

default, so is there some older class A tube amp that Eric could buy
used or something.  (This is mostly a selfish question, 'cause I would
find that more interesting than having him buy some ebay thing.)

George H.

Re: Speaker efficiency?
On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 12:36:12 -0800 (PST), George Herold

Last time I looked there were lots of tube amps and some pretty good
ones, but there wasn't much in the way of class A.  These days it can
be an expensive proposition to build from scratch.

I few years back I managed to latch onto a pair of 811A's and ceramic
sockets for a Tesla coil exciter.  That set me back close to $100 and
would probably be lots more today.

I get where you are coming from... Some of those Ebay thingees use
tubes I've never heard of.  When I was a kid I had access to lots of
junked old TV's and radios so most of the time I only had to come up
with money for the chassis.  (and some of my creations went into
upside down cake pans)

Re: Speaker efficiency?

OK thanks, just a pipe dream on my part.

George H.

Site Timeline