Solid State Relay Leak

Hi,

I purchased a surplus Solid State Relay 10A 220 VAC to develop an AC Outlet controlled by the PC.

I Design my hardware | circuit like an extension cord, I Plug my hardware and plug a Fluorecent Lamp.

I was suprised that the flourecent light continuously blink I found out the the SSR(Solid State Relay) has a leakage

My Question is... Is the Solid State Relay has a leak even if it is brand new?

Please I need your advice so i buy a new solid state relay.

Reply to
JV_Pili

Hello.

Not surprising. The semiconductor switching device within the SSR is protected by a snubber circuit from switching transients. The snubber inherently allows a small AC current to flow when the SSR is in the nominally off state.

Even if brand new and without any defect.

The next one will do the same thing. Save your time and the vendor some grief.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

Really depends on the SSR one uses. Vishay makes a range of devices (although I am not sure if they do 10A) that don't use a snubber but an internal current limiter, and therefore have superior off state performance (leakage typically < 1uA).

Go to

I have designed these in for low currents in sensitive applications (automatic bus terminators) so in the off state they can't interfere, and these devices perform quite well.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Try something like this (view in fixed font or M$ Notepad):

` Fluorescent ` Lamp ` .-------------. ____ ` o-o o-o--|_--_|--o L1 ` | '-------------' | Fuse ` | Nite Lite (6W) | ` | .-. | ` o------( X )------' ` | '-' ` .--------------. | ` | | | ` o + AC o--' ` | SSR | ` o - AC o-------------------------------o L2 ` | | ` '--------------' created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta

Leakage current through the SSR snubber is less than 1mA. The night light in parallel with the fluorescent lamp will keep the voltage across the lamp at less than a volt, which will certainly prevent it from turning on.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

yes , most likely has a snubber on the AC terminals. just put some other load on the circuit, it will knock it down enough to kill that.

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks..

You Help me Alot

Reply to
JV_Pili

There MIGHT be one other reason for blinking fluorescent When the SSR is mounted in the N-line there's always phase connected IF any earthed plate runs next to the fluorescent (usually does) it still "glows" in the dark

Reply to
peterken