Soldering 550m of copper wire

--
You're right, and you could have politely corrected my error without
rancor, but instead chose to take the low road.

Why?
Reply to
John Fields

You have that effect on people!

Reply to
Ian Field

--
What was in the dip?
Reply to

--
The context was, ostensibly, that you have this mysterious substance
which was designed to be used for brackening blick and is now -

The premise is that you're using it for some mysterious purpose and
that the heavily tinned surface of the iron will keep it from
attacking the iron underlay.

I think most of the rest of us use a simple water-damped sponge to get
rid of the grunge, so what's the purpose of your magical mystery pour?
Reply to
John Fields

Its only natural you'd get confused - but you've really tangled yourself up this time!

Reply to
Ian Field

--
From your myopic point of view, that's true.
Reply to

--
I love it!

You pretend to win, but present no evidence.
Reply to
John Fields

Larkinesque. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Butt-buddy grease ?:-} ...Jim Thompson

I try to make some soldering pot with camping gas stove. I melted lead and soldering wire (40/60) and am guessing that final ratio is around 70 % lead 30 % tin.

Then i took copper wire mesh ( that i cleaned before ) i put this into pot. I grease it before i put it in the pot.

Well, it looks like am doing something wrong because the copper was just partly covered with lead.

Rest of it looks like it was oxidized.

What am doing wrong ?

Reply to
Goran

The wire needs to be pretty clean - even for the more aggressive fluxes to work.

You could try this:

There are other more aggressive chemicals out there, but finding suitable ones is often more luck than judgement.

Reply to
Ian Field

--
Grease?
Reply to

--
No doubt a testimonial to your career in "electronics".
Reply to

--
For the flux to clean the wire, the wire and the flux on it must be
heated to a high enough temperature for the oxides present on the

That's about your level!

Reply to
Ian Field

Learning by doing beats learning by rote every time.

Reply to
Ian Field

Get some pipe acid, the stuff used to wet the pipes before soldering. it's clear and usually comes in a squirt bottle.. Dip the copper in that first.. You obviously are working with old copper.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Is that stuff corrosive? I remember warnings in the magazines where people had used plumbing flux, only to learn it was corrosive and the wrong thing for electronic soldering.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

If you've got a deep fryer you need the grease.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Very big deal.

I've seen it done. Freshly drawn wire after vacuum annealing run through a hot acid flux bath, followed by a cotton wiper, followed by a pure tin bath, then a final water-wet cotton wiper, then spooled. All at 200 feet per minute.

After a few minutes, the acid fumes get to your eyes.

The guys working in the "tinner" were all in their twenties and thirties, and looked about sixty.

An interesting place. Wherever you stood in the plant, you could see a thousand tons of copper in various forms. That was back in the day when telcos were using the stuff as fast as it was being dug out of the ground.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse