Solder paste

I having been using Oatey solder paste when soldering large diameter wires. I know it's designed for copper pipes.

Is there something better?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy K

I use MG Chemicals #835, which is an RA (rosin, activated) flux. Works great--somewhat more aggressive than ordinary RMA (rosin, mildly activated), but noncorrosive (unlike plumbing flux).

You can also get flux pens, which are pretty convenient.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Thanks.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Ughh, OK I did that when I was starting out, and promptly was 'talked to' by an older tech. The problem with the acid pipe solder is you have to get it all off, with water or something, (just like when you do copper pipe plumbing.) otherwise it corrodes over time and your pcb/circuit turns into this ugly green thing.

As Phil said get some rosin core solder/flux. You can also buy rosin flux in a little jar. (snuff box size.) I use that for tinning bigger wires.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ok, that makes sense.

I only used it on large gauge wires and never on circuit boards.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

** Bet you use a flame torch too.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Soldering iron.

Reply to
Andy K

Fluxite brand paste is less aggressive than plumber's flux, but its grease based and cant be washed off with water.

Its a popular product, and corrosion isn't a huge problem.

Reply to
Ian Field

thanks.

Reply to
Andy K

Is there a type or brand that is water soluble?

Reply to
bruce2bowser

There was a water based liquid flux, all I can remember is the can was red and beige.

Its more aggressive, but that might not matter when you can wash it off.

AFAIK: all PCB fluxes have to be water soluble since ozone layer legislation banned the cleaning solvents - might be worth seeking out which one is strong enough.

Reply to
Ian Field

Umm, no. Leaded processes with rosin flux and solvent clean are readily available, at least over here. I use them exclusively.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

te:

,

uy

.

Hey you should walk on the wild side sometimes. Water based flux is fine for low impedance stuff. (~

Reply to
George Herold

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

rote:

dy

ng,

des

buy

or

ff.

bruce2bowser

I use Alcohol to remove the flux. Usually 91 % is the most you can find locally, but I usually order some 99% to do the cleaning with.

Most often for the SMD and PC work I try touse some of the no clean flux, but clean it with Alcohol anyway.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Drugstore rubbing alcohol is a disaster for high-Z circuits. When (rarely) I need to clean off flux, I use the same solvent I use for cleaning optics, namely HPLC grade methanol. It's expensive, but a two-litre bottle lasts me a long time.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I use acetone and a cotton swab for small stuff. For a big board 91% IPA and then rinse with detergent and hot water. (but I don't really like that.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The common drug store rubbing alcohol is bad. That is why I specified the 91 % and 99 %. Those are just alcohol and water, none of the 'rubbing' addativies. I would think it would be water and then alcohol to remove the water from places that are hard to dry out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery