Socket or solder?

How would one make electrical connections to this:

Is there a socket, or would wires be soldered directly to the pins?

-- When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift: Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting

Reply to
Frederick Williams

Transformers are generally soldered in, and often last for the life of an amplifier. Tubes are socketed because they are less reliable than a socket, and often must be replaced during the life of an amplifier. Sockets themselves become a potential failure point, and they cost money. So why add expense and diminish reliability?

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

If you solder to the pins on the outside, the solder joints on the wires inside may sprong loose. I've seen that happen (for real transformers, not this audio stuff.)

I wonder what that thing costs.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

inside

That possibility has been mentioned.

718 US dollars for a pair apparently!
Frederick Williams

It doesn't look like the kind of thing designed to be soldered to, but the terminals don't look real friendly either - bullet quick-connects? Are those screws in the corners to mount it with?

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

That's what I thought.

I don't have one myself.

Frederick Williams

Transformers are often chassis-mounted, because they're heavy. So, to connect the transformer to a printed wiring board, it's VERY common for a PWB to have a socket for the transformer connection. The flexible leadwires from the transformer are soldered to the solid (inflexible) windings, though.

Transformers (and other inductors) get a bad reputation partly because it's difficult to put them through 'standard' pick/place/solder operations.

Reply to
whit3rd

I suppose the correct answer to the question (which should have sprung out at me but did not), is "however the manufacturer intends".

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

And I expect seb to know just what the manufacturer intends!

Frederick Williams

Pick-and-place is easy for transformers, if you have the right gear.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

If it's a current production part, you could ask the manufacturer.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Probably brass under whatever the plating is - and probably won't solder unless you file down to the brass.

Reply to
Ian Field

Then solve your dilemma by not buying one!

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

--- Since the transformer has tapped holes at its corners which are no doubt intended to secure it to a chassis, and since sockets are very rarely mounted with their tops flush with the chassis' top surface and secured with flathead screws, it's likely that the transformer is designed to be chassis-mounted with its terminals protruding downward through a circular cutout in the chassis.

That's further attested to by the nicely bright solder blobs on the ends of the terminals which, by no stretch of imagination, could be designed to be socketed.

Blow up the photo and it becomes apparent that there's no index key for the socket and that the terminals, which seem to be turrets, are yellow.

Gold over nickel over brass?

Not unlikely for a high-ticket item.

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

That is a very significant point. Thank you for drawing it to my attention.

Frederick Williams

--
http://www.obsinc-products.com/servlet/Detail?no=13
Reply to

LOL! I was half-expecting to see a Sikorsky skycrane planting a power transformer...

Reply to
whit3rd

The box is our 20 kilowatt MRI gradient driver. I blew a lot of mosfets getting that to work.

These are "exfets."

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

it looks like there's a socket included with the transformer and that's the ugly side with solder lumps we're seeing.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader