smt capacitor testing with oscilloscope?

Hi,

How can I test a smt capacitor in "live" circuit with a oscilloscope?

Thanks.

Reply to
sukovic

Its not so much testing the capacitor in a live circuit, you need to know how the circuit is suppose to function to even start thinking of using an O-scope. For that, you need a service manual or schematic and understanding of what you're looking for and at.

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

Looks like you're out of luck, again!

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As Jamie notes, testing in an operating circuit requires knowledge of what to expect to see if the component is operating normally.

For in-circuit testing on a de-energized circuit, however, it is possible to get some idea of what's "going on" with an o-scope and a stimulator circuit. There are commercial versions (see Huntron Tracker) but a home-made rig is pretty simple. See a discussion at and similar.

Using an octopus isn't magical and is not likely to yield useful results unless the effects of the surrounding components can be determined. It's most usefully employed when there is a known good card against which the suspected failure can be compared.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

How can I determine effects of the surrounding components? I've got a component analyser PTS model 8001.

Thanks.

Reply to
sukovic

I'm not familiar with that piece of equipment; didn't see anything on a quick Google search.

WRT the surrounding components, if you don't have a schematic then all you can reasonably do is trace out what you can and apply brain power.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to