smps: AC or pulsed DC fed into transformer?

It seems to me that flyback SMPSes use pulsed DC instead of AC. Is this true?

For example, here, the transistor simply turns on and off, providing pulses to the transformer, right?

Would SMPSes be more efficient if their transformers were fed high-frequency AC instead of high-frequency pulsed DC (for example, by using an H-bridge to provide a negative voltage across the transformer primary for the second half of each cycle)?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

High Frequency chopped DC is equal to High Frequency AC.

I.T. I.S. A.C.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

Yes. But flybacks take fewer external parts. ...Jim Thompson

Oh! It's a cost-savings thing, then.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

One big motivation is higher frequency allows smaller cheaper reactive components.

The penalty is running into transistor switching times, ferrite losses and rectifier Trr.

Not studied this area - but I think semi-resonant SMPSUs are the answer to that.

If I understand it correctly - they're sort of AC transformer drive instead of DC pulses.

Reply to
Ian Field

Really big (like kilowatt) switching supplies are often forward converters, with symmetric square-wave drive, no DC component, into the transformer. No DC in the transformer core is more efficient.

There are also some clever resonant designs that run real AC (sine waves) through the magnetics.

Small, cheap supplies work well with the flyback topology.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ok, thanks!

Forward Converter... new vocabulary words for today :)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Forward converters don't have to be as big as the examples JL mentioned.

The early PC/AT psus were often flyback, but forward converters became pretty much the standard once the ratings got to around 200W.

There's plenty of off the shelf controller chips to chose from and also plenty of appnotes with example circuits. The SG3524 is just one of many that springs readily to mind.

The KA7500 is popular in ATX supplies, so there may be a free development sample gathering dust in the loft. AFAICR: the TL494 is another common choice.

Those 3 part numbers will find manufacturers that have other similar parts on offer.

Reply to
Ian Field

A few more

Flyback

Buck

Boost

Cuk

Sepic

Resonant

Cockroft-Walton

Royer

Baxandall

(there must be more)

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

image150a.png

ESM_power_B.pdf

There are. Not least many sub-categories of the above!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Flybuck

ICL7660-style flying capacitor

Tesla coil

thunderstorm ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

yes.

It's not a transformer... it's an inductor with two windings.

That won't work with a flyback, but with a forwards converter* it would work, but now you have twice the switch losses.

(*) where the secondary and primary windings conduct simultaneously eg: Royer.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

A good intro to switched mode:

  \_(?)_
Reply to
Jasen Betts

his true?

pulses to the transformer, right?

equency AC instead of high-frequency pulsed DC (for example, by using an H- bridge to provide a negative voltage across the transformer primary for the second half of each cycle)?

a.png

pdf

Ooh thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I'd be interested to see a 6MV supercapacitor and a buck that can bring that down to national grid type voltages.

Apparently US power companies have for some time been experimenting with EHV DC distribution lines. Last I heard they were reaching for 1MV in an attempt to find the tradeoff between corona discharge on EHV DC compared to capacitive losses on lower voltage AC distribution.

Reply to
Ian Field

I think LTC or somebody makes what is basically a flying-inductor converter.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It is true.

But "Alternating current (AC), is an electric current in which the flow of electric charge periodically reverses direction, whereas in direct current (DC, also dc), the flow of electric charge is only in one direction".

So the High Frequency AC which is flowing in a transmising line is not AC at all. It is the impulsing current. Do you agree? S*

Reply to
szczepan bialek

napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

Your flyback is using the impulsing current.

But the term "impulsing current" was used by Tesla. Up to now the Tesla name is absent in textbooks about radio. Do You know that Tesla was "Father of radio":

S(

Reply to
szczepan bialek

I disagree. AC REVERSES polarity (hence the "Alternating" in Alternating Current). Pulsed DC does not.

Reply to
repurplecirculation

Sometimes names are not precise. The High Frequency AC in the radio mast is not symetric AC. So it is practically the Pulsed DC. S*

Reply to
szczepan bialek