Simple parts sources

Doing some lessons and experiments with students on an Arduino Uno. We are breadboarding some simple circuits, attempting to teach some digital logic.

Can any of the mail order companies sell me a simple assortment (grab bag) of resistors and capacitors? I've looked and Mauser and DigiKey and can find nothing. All pointers or 'Key-words to use' would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

breadboarding some simple circuits, attempting to teach some digital logic.

resistors and capacitors? I've looked and Mauser and DigiKey and can find nothing. All pointers or 'Key-words to use' would be appreciated.

Check out JAYCAR or ALTRONICS.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Tell them to start looking for electronic junk tossed out. More recent stuff has less to offer, but there are still lots of VCRs around taht can supply a nice spread of small signal transistors, capacitors and resistors, plus switches on the front panel and LEDs. The motors may be useful for something.

The same with cassette decks that are getting tossed, analog meters or "LED level meters" (often a daugther board so it can be kept intact), motors, low power AC transformers, and common parts.

Around here lots of satellite and cable boxes get tossed, though they are relatively new and offer fewer interesting parts.

It depends on the parts you need. Something like a "Sony Walkman" would offer up a small motor, and likely a small headphone amplifier.

The thing is, anyone interested in electronics should be keeping an eye out, maybe even carrying some common tools to extract boards on the scene rather than bringing the whole unit home. To deal with existing pieces of equipment is to diminish their power. And since most beginners start by going to the parts store and asking for parts exactly as specified in the construction article (one kid at high school decades ago said "I'm afraid of making a mistake"), salvaging parts is not only cheaper, but a sign that they have learned enough to tell when a part can be substituted, when a part should stay as it is, and how much leeway there is.

The first frew projects I tried to build failed, but I went with the list copied from the magazine, and didn't yet know enough about things to know if I wsa getting good parts or substitues or not. The first things that did work were a few months later, me putting together parts I pulled out of transistor radios and mainframe cmmputer boards.

For common parts, this is a fairly readily at hand source of parts.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

breadboarding some simple circuits, attempting to teach some digital logic.

resistors and capacitors? I've looked and Mauser and DigiKey and can find nothing. All pointers or 'Key-words to use' would be appreciated.

Hop over to Jameco. They've been doing both grab bags (random bits, take your chances) and graded assortments of parts for decades, since back when catalogs and order forms were all on paper. ;-)

Search there on "assortments" or hit this link.

Note that they have many of their assortments available both as "kits in plastic drawers" and "refill kits in little bags."

"Assortment" works at Digikey as well. Search on that and then hit Kits and, e.g., passive - resistors.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

breadboarding some simple circuits, attempting to teach some digital logic.

resistors and capacitors? I've looked and Mauser and DigiKey and can find nothing. All pointers or 'Key-words to use' would be appreciated.

Get a Jameco catalog they have some serious parts kits, as well as Arduino shields sensors etc..

Look under "component kits" and "grab bags"

Picaxe is a good learning tool too. Easier, cheaper and better supported than the Arduino but with less capability.

Reply to
default

are breadboarding some simple circuits, attempting to teach some digital l ogic.

) of resistors and capacitors?  I've looked and Mauser and DigiKey and ca n find nothing.  All pointers or 'Key-words to use' would be appreciated.

Try a search with the word "kits" (at least at digikey.) So "resistor kits" brings up a bunch of hits.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

breadboarding some simple circuits, attempting to teach some digital logic.

resistors and capacitors? I've looked and Mauser and DigiKey and can find nothing. All pointers or 'Key-words to use' would be appreciated.

There are some Arduino 'starter kits' on Ebay. You can also buy assortments of resistors, capacitors & crystals there.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

breadboarding some simple circuits, attempting to teach some digital logic.

resistors and capacitors? I've looked and Mauser and DigiKey and can find nothing. All pointers or 'Key-words to use' would be appreciated.

I like this place for experimental junk parts.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Try Jameco, they may have grab-bags.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

We

digital

bag)

can

As others have said, Jameco is a good start. Other sources are:

Also, I have a large quantity of surplus parts for which I'd like to find good homes. Here is a partial listing:

and
and

Ignore prices. Most of them I'd only want shipping and handling cost.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

breadboarding some simple circuits, attempting to teach some digital logic.

resistors and capacitors? I've looked and Mauser and DigiKey and can find nothing. All pointers or 'Key-words to use' would be appreciated.

Hey, thanks everybody! Those grab bag suggestions look great and that's the direction I will go.

Thanks again,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary