Signal amplifier works

That little tidbit is useful. As electrons are the medium of electronic signal propagation, it's helpful to know what's actually going on in the wires. Counter-intuitive concepts like that are exactly the sort of thing that make science difficult for kids. An exemplar is the view of the Earth as the center of the universe, as was common knowledge prior to the Copernican revolution. Counterfactual concepts make real understanding unnecessarily difficult. The fact that electronic circuits are presented with the assumption that charge flows from positive to negative poles obscures the idea that it is the electrical potential for the flow of electrons that is significant at any given point in a circuit. I don't doubt that the terminology in common use could be less confusing.

I'll be better off when I internalize the details of how transistors work in various configurations, but at the moment the concepts are still a little fuzzy.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
More than a century has passed since science laid down sound
propositions as to the origins of the universe, but how many have

My first (solid state) audio power amplifier experience (at age 15) was a class-A biased Delco door-knob transistor, collector load was a big-ass choke, gapped for DC, capacitor coupled to a speaker... 9 Watts output max :-) ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Further amusing myself...

Far simpler, but slightly less swing capability. ...Jim Thompson

It's a good thing to know, but reversing the directions of all the arrows in his diagrams is going to confuse people terminally when they get to real circuit design. The main point of drawing diagrams so that current flows generally downward and to the right is so that people don't get confused, and to reduce the number of minus signs in the algebra, which of course are a common source of blunders.

Do you have an example of a solid-state circuit accessible to a beginner where it matters what the carrier polarity is? Holes are slower than electrons in almost every material I can think of, but they look like perfectly good positive charge carriers in all other respects.

Sure, it takes everybody awhile--they're nontrivial devices. It's easier to get right if you think of transistors as mostly voltage-controlled rather than current-controlled. That's closer to the physics, and will also protect you against doing beta-dependent circuits like the above and the ones in reference #2.

Base current isn't a necessary feature of transistor behaviour--you can get transistors with betas ranging from about 5 to several thousand, and the beta of a single device can easily vary over a 3:1 range, depending on collector current. On the other hand, transconductance is almost identical for every transistor at a given collector current, and comes right out of the simplest version of the device physics (the Ebers-Moll model).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You must admit that as amusing as it may be (to you), it mitigates the threat that a civil discussion will result from either 'design'.

It makes no difference that people with your values dominate the newsgroups; only that you seem to feel that the world begins and ends with you. The rest of us are only a minor inconvenience to that worldview, I suppose.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
More than a century has passed since science laid down sound
propositions as to the origins of the universe, but how many have
mastered them or possess the really scientific spirit of criticism? A
few thousands at the outside, who are lost in the midst of hundreds of
millions still steeped in prejudices and superstitions worthy of
savages, who are consequently ever ready to serve as puppets for
religious impostors.   -- Peter Kropotkin
Reply to
Uncle Steve

The less obvious advantage to the current convention is that it makes electronic diagrams more amenable to stand-in as loose metaphor for life, or living, but it is difficult to explain since 'living' in this context is a religious concept subject to the usual prohibitions on open discussion or analysis.

Monkeys armed with typewriters have mastered basic analog electronics, so I ought to be able to get there as well. It would be helpful if there were less disinformation or outright lies in the way, however. Some people seem strangely committed to making learning as difficult as possible. I wonder why that is.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
More than a century has passed since science laid down sound
propositions as to the origins of the universe, but how many have
mastered them or possess the really scientific spirit of criticism? A
few thousands at the outside, who are lost in the midst of hundreds of
millions still steeped in prejudices and superstitions worthy of
savages, who are consequently ever ready to serve as puppets for
religious impostors.   -- Peter Kropotkin
Reply to
Uncle Steve

They're all conspiring against you. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

How does it do that? The 'designs' _were_ discussed and serious flaws shown.

What values are those? No BS or hand-waving?

You're one sick puppy. You're never going to learn circuits if your "world" is based on the attitude that your circuit works because you wish it so.

...Jim Thompson

Yep. THAT'S what it is >:-} ...Jim Thompson

The point is that your circuits appear to be presented to show how witty you are.

No meaningful discussion with 'outsiders'. I see a great deal of snarky commentary, but little of substance regarding what I have written. Your level of engagement is limited to posting your circuits and commentary on that, at a level that is exclusive to the 'noobs'.

Classic straw-man argument. Show where I asserted any such sentiment.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
More than a century has passed since science laid down sound
propositions as to the origins of the universe, but how many have
mastered them or possess the really scientific spirit of criticism? A
few thousands at the outside, who are lost in the midst of hundreds of
millions still steeped in prejudices and superstitions worthy of
savages, who are consequently ever ready to serve as puppets for
religious impostors.   -- Peter Kropotkin
Reply to
Uncle Steve

Only the retard, righttards, and related degenerates and defectives. Oftentimes they believe (with no evidence) that their mindset is exclusive to the world's population, but in actual point of fact they pretend that sensible, rational, normal folk don't exist and only those with their special brand of prejudice are 'people'. They are easily identifiable by their myopic insistance that reality must conform to their view of it, or at least what little of it they acknowledge.

It's all so tiresome. Greg Egan once wrote of a hypothetical terrorist group described as "anthrocosmologists" who bear a striking resemblance to such persons, who impute anthropic principles to existence a priori -- which is necessarily the opposite to the idea of undertaking observation to deduce or infer principles of existence. The sick joke is that this retrograde method of apprehending reality is called 'knowing' among people of that sort. To 'know' is to bring an aspect of reality into existence, in contrast to the usual process of knowledge acquisition normal to scientific pursuit. Losers.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
More than a century has passed since science laid down sound
propositions as to the origins of the universe, but how many have
mastered them or possess the really scientific spirit of criticism? A
few thousands at the outside, who are lost in the midst of hundreds of
millions still steeped in prejudices and superstitions worthy of
savages, who are consequently ever ready to serve as puppets for
religious impostors.   -- Peter Kropotkin
Reply to
Uncle Steve

Ohh-kay then. (Smiles, nods, and creeps out the padded cell door, locking it behind him.)

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Competition? :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Are you attempting to say you don't agree with my take on the righttard way of 'knowing'?

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
More than a century has passed since science laid down sound
propositions as to the origins of the universe, but how many have
mastered them or possess the really scientific spirit of criticism? A
few thousands at the outside, who are lost in the midst of hundreds of
millions still steeped in prejudices and superstitions worthy of
savages, who are consequently ever ready to serve as puppets for
religious impostors.   -- Peter Kropotkin
Reply to
Uncle Steve

What, they want to sell me a fish every day? I can catch my own goddamn fish.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
More than a century has passed since science laid down sound
propositions as to the origins of the universe, but how many have
mastered them or possess the really scientific spirit of criticism? A
few thousands at the outside, who are lost in the midst of hundreds of
millions still steeped in prejudices and superstitions worthy of
savages, who are consequently ever ready to serve as puppets for
religious impostors.   -- Peter Kropotkin
Reply to
Uncle Steve

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yet you expect people to go out of their way to teach you to fish after you've pissed on them. That is the lefty way.

Reply to
krw

first

No, I merely expect that sane people won't lie or distort facts merely because they think that knowledge is sacred and requires some sort of arbitrary sacrifice to be paid in return for its disclosure. If you think the 'payment' for discussion of the trivial is measured in humiliation, you are insane.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
More than a century has passed since science laid down sound
propositions as to the origins of the universe, but how many have
mastered them or possess the really scientific spirit of criticism? A
few thousands at the outside, who are lost in the midst of hundreds of
millions still steeped in prejudices and superstitions worthy of
savages, who are consequently ever ready to serve as puppets for
religious impostors.   -- Peter Kropotkin
Reply to
Uncle Steve

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Nope. We're just saying there's no chance in hell you'll EVER learn circuit design.

As that great Texas sage Ron White says, "You can't cure stupid. Stupid is forever." ...Jim Thompson