ribbon cable repair

Need to repair a Mylar type ribbon cable that's split. It's not the wire conductor type but the flat stuff with what appears to be a carbon film for conductors. My only though is to attach male/female connectors to both cut ends because it's cut too short to re-terminate. I'm not sure what this type of 13 conductor ribbon cable is called so I don't know where to start hunting for connectors....... thanks for any help

Reply to
Jeff Dieterle

--- It's called flat-flexible or flat-flex or film cable.

Check this out:

If the link wraps, go here:

and navigate the menu.

I think AMP (Tyco) also makes essentially the same thing.

I think you'll have trouble finding mating males, but if you're lucky and the pitch conductor pitch is right, (I'm guessing 0.1") you'll be able to use two females and insert a 13 pin male-male header between them.

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

for

type

I have repaired such cables using conductive ink. Be careful, the product spreads easily, shorting adjacent conductors.

The result is not as flexible so if the cables is flexing in normal operation, it would be best to replace it with a new cable.

Reply to
Lord Garth

The cable doesn't flex so conductive ink might work. I checked Kester's web page and came up with their item called

Copper/silver filled adhesive p/n 53-4300-1002 in a 6oz package

is that what your referring to ?

thanks jeff

Reply to
Jeff Dieterle

wire

film

product

web

The product I use was called 'Silver Print" by GC Electronics (I think). I've had it a large number of years but it is still in solution though you must stir it before use.

When my application spread over three conductors, I waited for the product to cure then I used an X-Acto knife with a #16 blade to scrape it out of the space between conductors.

Good luck with your repair, mine is still operational after 10+ years.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Yeah, but what do you do if you're missing a chunk of mylar flexie?

That's a good record...

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net

You can fill it with epoxy first. Put tape on the conductor side and apply the epoxy from the back. You might use automotive body filler instead. That's 'Bondo' to you and me.

Reply to
Lord Garth