Reviving 'dead' PP3 NiMH?

Some of my PP3s steadfastly refuse to recharge. Neither in my 'intelligent' nor basic chargers. Despite being years old, I'm reluctant to dump them. Any tips from others who have managed to bring these back into service please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

They likely developed thin internal shorts into one or more elements, this happens often in NiMhs. Like other NiMh cells you can attempt to "zap" them a few times with a short high current/voltage pulse, such as a big capacitor discharge, until all thin shorts are gone and the charger sees them as chargeable again. It usually works, especially well on single cells (D, AA, etc), but don't trust that battery anymore as it will develop a short again one day.

Reply to
asdf

I know the old nicads had internal shorts (an actual 0 volts or a millivolt or two, measured at the terminals). I'd recover them with a large cap 100,000 uf charged to 25-40 volts then zap them and read the voltage. There'd be a few tenths of a volt indicating that the short was gone.

But if these batteries of yours have been siting around in a discharged state you may get them working by zapping them but they will never perform anywhere like they did when new.

Reply to
default

** I found connecting a good NiCd cell in parallel with a shorted one did the trick - with minimal risk.

Shorted cells in a pack you cannot access is more difficult to fix and in a 9V battery near impossible.

** Old NiMH cells are not prone to shorting, but simply lose capacity and can self discharge in a day or so.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks both. Zapped them all yesterday and most are at least now charging. But I note your cautionary warnings. Only intend to use for old stuff in the shed.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:13:42 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote as underneath :

Rechargeable PP3 were always expensive but we have here Hibrio/Eneloop/already charged type PP3 which have low self discharge character, and they have been fully reliable even when left to totally flatten in equipment at times. Ocasionally Lidl (UK) have these at 2.99 ea which is a very good price even compared with eBay, but you have to be careful not to get the non ready charged type which is what you have already! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

I second the low self discharge batteries. With others, especially in a pack, it seems I'm never sure of the charge remaining, and trust is everything when you are away from home.

Reply to
default