replace UPS battery with same voltage but bigger

Say, can I replace my computer's UPS's "12V 7AH20HR" battery with a 12V 40AH (car) battery? Both are sealed, maintenance free, same voltage.

Reply to
Dan Jacobson

You can, but the unit's built in charger will take longer to charge it if you run it down. Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I did that. used a lawn n garden 12 volt to replace the small lead acid, of course the bigger battery sit beside the ups with wire running inside. Ran about 2 years like that. JTT.

Reply to
James Thompson

Along with what the others have said, do NOT use a car battery. Use an RV, Marine, Golf Cart, or Wheelchair battery - a deep-cycle. Automotive batteries are optimized for heavy cranking amps, for a short time. They don't really like being on a medium discharge for very long, and cycling them is kind of hard on them. Deep-cycle batteries are designed to provide moderate currents for a long time, and won't get damaged by deep discharging. (well, you don't want _any_ battery to go completely flat).

The difference, I think, is in the plate structure.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise