replace UPS battery with same voltage but bigger

Say, can I replace my computer's UPS's "12V 7AH20HR" battery with
a 12V 40AH (car) battery? Both are sealed, maintenance free, same voltage.

Re: replace UPS battery with same voltage but bigger

You can, but the unit's built in charger will take longer to charge it if
you run it down.
Tom

Re: replace UPS battery with same voltage but bigger

I did that.  used a lawn n garden 12 volt to replace the small lead acid, of
course the bigger battery sit beside the ups with wire running inside. Ran
about 2 years like that.  JTT.

Re: replace UPS battery with same voltage but bigger

Along with what the others have said, do NOT use a car battery. Use
an RV, Marine, Golf Cart, or Wheelchair battery - a deep-cycle. Automotive
batteries are optimized for heavy cranking amps, for a short time. They
don't really like being on a medium discharge for very long, and cycling
them is kind of hard on them. Deep-cycle batteries are designed to provide
moderate currents for a long time, and won't get damaged by deep
discharging. (well, you don't want _any_ battery to go completely flat).

The difference, I think, is in the plate structure.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Site Timeline