Replace cordless drill speed control with simple on off switch?

I am powering a wheel to propel me on in-line skates. (see the powerful "roller cycle on grass" video on YouTube)

Using a DeWalt 18 V cordless drill. If I want to replace the speed control trigger with a simple on/off switch, what sort of components would be required? I guess a simple resistor and capacitor with the switch? A high wattage resistor? I guess a few seconds delay would be enough.

Thanks.

By the way... Apparently DeWalt is not using a motor housing for their compact drills. The motor is not just hanging behind the gearing, but the motor parts themselves are held together by the plastic. The windings rod/shaft (armature?) is screwed into the plastic case, and the outer metal cylinder (commutator?) is held in place around the windings by the plastic casing. I wonder whether any resulting lack of precision might negatively affect motor efficiency.

--
FWIW. Motor power is irrelevant at this time. I am not asking
whether the 18 V motor is powerful enough for this application, or

There's a reason they did things the way they did. (It's the smartest way.)

JeffM

Why not use the dewalt speed-controller possibly mounted in another handgrip, it'll be a bit like driving a slot-car.

most drills are built tat way.

plastics can be made to fairly tight tolerances. it;s not like the pole pieces on the armature or stator are preciscion machined

-- ?? 100% natural

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I did slot cars as a kid on a huge track. Decades later, and years ago, they put the same track back in the same mall. It was fun.

The only real problem here and now is that the trigger spring pressure needs reducing. But it will probably be left as is, considering the risk of destroying the PWM controller.

--
Thanks to the replies.
Reply to

[...]

Tom Biasi

Glen Madland (ICE) and son used to build dragsters powered by a car starter motor and 8 car batteries in series ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That's a start.

.

JeffM

I recall my old Rotating Machines prof pointing out that if the field winding was opened on a shunt-field DC motor, the theoretical torque headed for infinity. Always seemed like a great idea to test out at the drag strip!

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v6.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta