Removing solder

I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire.

Is there some other technique?

Andy

Re: Removing solder
On Sat, 18 May 2019 16:08:51 -0700 (PDT), AK

Solder wick.

It's best not to solder stranded wire to a board. The wire tends to
break if flexed.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Removing solder

Good to know.

Andy

Re: Removing solder
On Sat, 18 May 2019 17:56:28 -0700, John Larkin

That's true of any wire.  Stranded wire with solder wicked in it is
the same as solid as far as metal fatigue goes.

Re: Removing solder
A pump.
But add solder for removing the existing solder.

Re: Removing solder

always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire.

Does adding solder make the existing solder bigger so it can be sucked up e
asier by the solder pump?

Andy

Re: Removing solder
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

[snip]

It increases the surface area of the tip that is
in contact with the joint, allowing more heat to
flow into the solder.

Also, if you press gently sideways on the component
lead as the solder is melting, you can often feel it
move when the solder has completely melted through.

That's when you apply suction and remove the iron.

Re: Removing solder

always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire.

Thanks.

I discovered a way of removing some components.

The weight of the clip pulls the resistor down while the solder is being me
lted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7u79w2wsstip5wy/Clip.png?dl=0

Re: Removing solder

for multi-pin parts these are good,
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32574393988.html
build quality is so-so, but otherwise the do the job.

but for stranded wire, just melt the joint and pull.

Re: Removing solder

thanks. Aliexpress is really cheap.

Andy

Re: Removing solder

Use solder wick. It will even draw solder out of holes, to remove ICs:
https://www.digikey.com/en/blog/how-and-when-to-use-solder-wick

Site Timeline