Removing solder

I use my desolder gun to remove solder from circuit boards but I can't always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire.

Is there some other technique?

Andy

Reply to
AK

Solder wick.

It's best not to solder stranded wire to a board. The wire tends to break if flexed.

lunatic fringe electronics

Good to know.

Andy

Reply to
AK

A pump. But add solder for removing the existing solder.

Reply to
Look165

for multi-pin parts these are good,

build quality is so-so, but otherwise the do the job.

but for stranded wire, just melt the joint and pull.

Jasen Betts

always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire.

Does adding solder make the existing solder bigger so it can be sucked up e asier by the solder pump?

Andy

Reply to
AK

thanks. Aliexpress is really cheap.

Andy

Reply to
AK

always remove enough especially when the solder is in stranded wire.

Thanks.

I discovered a way of removing some components.

The weight of the clip pulls the resistor down while the solder is being me lted.

AK

Use solder wick. It will even draw solder out of holes, to remove ICs:

S Deyoreo
[snip]

It increases the surface area of the tip that is in contact with the joint, allowing more heat to flow into the solder.

Also, if you press gently sideways on the component lead as the solder is melting, you can often feel it move when the solder has completely melted through.

That's when you apply suction and remove the iron.

Reply to
Randy Day

That's true of any wire. Stranded wire with solder wicked in it is the same as solid as far as metal fatigue goes.

Reply to
default