Receptors' range is too small for a weather station

Hi,

I have a small greenhouse which is mostly constituted by plastic. I also have a small weather station BLUESKY BWS688, with two receptors. The manual stipulates that the working range of the receptors is ~30 meters, but I rather think that it is ~3 meters: my greenhouse is at ~5 meters, and its signal is not received. As my greenhouse is not surrounded by some metal stuff, I would be very surprised to learn that the Faraday effect would take place into it.

Consequently, the receptor's range seems too weak. What could I do to solve this problem? Would it be possible to hack some antenna or some conductor, say on one or two meters? Would it work better? I have exchanged my two receptors, and they all work properly. Once a length ~4 meters separates the principal station and one of the receptors, the receptor's signal is not received anymore.

Thanks.

Reply to
Merciadri Luca

I'm not familiar with the construction of modern greenhouses, but it may be that the transparent windows contain some metalization in order to optimize the transmissive and reflective properties.

Have you tried the performance of the transmitter/receiver pairs when they are both outside of the greenhouse?

The simplest way may be to boost the antenna gain. The simplest way to do that is probably by adding a directional reflector "behind" each receiving antenna (and the transmitter, if the receivers can be situated in the main lobe).

Here's one site that discusses a quick and cheap home-made version:

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

This is simple plastic, not some kind of glasses, etc.! I am doubtful about the fact that they could contain some metalization, as they are purely transparent.

Yes, and it does not change anything, i.e. the greenhouse seems not to affect the transmitter. But two meters nearer the weather station, everything is fine.

Thanks for the pointer. I would come with

cts/Ez-10/pic2.JPG, but the problem is that my two small receivers (which compute the temperature around them) have no `outgoing' antenna, and I thus do not know if the antenna is at their top, their bottom, `behind' or `in front' of them. And if I put some metal around the whole receiver, the Faraday effect will annihilate all our chances!

Reply to
Merciadri Luca

version:

Make a parabolic reflector (it doesn't have to be executed very well -- tin foil and cardboard would do), with the whole unit at the focus, pointed at the base station.

See if it works.

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature

version:

| | Reflector=>| Sensor Station |

Reply to
ehsjr

Are you out on a farm, or in some high density area? If the latter, it increases the chances that some other device is using the same frequency for something, and thus blocking the desired signal unless it's close enough to be strong.

The same frequency is reused for various devices, it's even mildly possible that you might have something else that is using the frequency.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Not at all. I am in a small village, but not in a farm. The house is normal, and there is no reinforced concrete. There is a maximum of 2 or 3 wireless networks.

Both *transmitters* (sorry for the bad name), as `ehsjr' explained it, have brand new batteries.

I will do a parabolic antenna tomorrow. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Merciadri Luca

it

.

Okay, I did it, and it drastically improved the transmitter's range. Actually, the other transmitter seems not to work. It seems to be defective. I opened it, checked the selfs, etc., and everything seems normal, at first sight.

Reply to
Merciadri Luca

You may need to set the second transmitter to a different channel.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

"ehsjr"

** These sorts of devices do not have the ability to select "channels" - the transmitters send brief bursts of data once every 5 or 10 seconds and all use the same radio frequency.

Wireless door bells have the facility to alter modulation CODES so that the receiver only responds to the matching transmitter - but if two nearby transmitters are operated simultaneously, then likely neither bell will ring.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Mine do. There's a switch in the battery compartment of the transmitters to select channel 1 or 2 or 3. Here's a reference:

Quoting from the page: Product Features

  • Remote, wireless thermometer for Oregon Scientific weather stations * Transmits up to 100 feet from the main unit; requires 1 AA battery * Water-resistant casing and a battery cover * Sets to one of three different channels for tandem transmissions with other sensors * Red LED light notifies when data transmission has been sent

End quote

Right. But the instruction manual refers to transmission and reception of 3 channels, and the display shows the letters "CH" followed by the number of the channel it is monitoring.

The other unit I have is a La Crosse

which also can receive from up to 3 sensors. La Crosse also refers to channels which are selected by a button on the front of the display labelled SET and CH.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

"ehsjr" Phil Allison

** Not separate radio frequency channels they don't.

** Just alters the data code to signal which sensor it is.
** Makers can call a feature whatever they like.

The term "channel" is far more easily grasped by the non-technical public.

Wireless door bells have the facility to alter modulation CODES so that the receiver only responds to the matching transmitter - but if two nearby transmitters are operated simultaneously, then likely neither bell will ring.

The different codes use are often referred to as "channels" - ie 1,2,3, 4 or A,B,C,D.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

-

rature-Sensor/d...

tations

attery

ions

nd

hat the

by

BLUESKY is quite like some noname products. It consequently does not surprise me to see that there is no possibility to switch channels, etc. for the transmitters. Any idea why one of my two transmitters does not work?

Thanks.

Reply to
Merciadri Luca