Re: More Math I Never Did

>>I almost dumped this thing. The question was, in part, how the answer got to be in milli or micro, but I looked and saw that the variables entered were > >>Bottom line is f*ck all this shit, I stick with the old designs. In my project list are a pair of Boston Acoustics A-150 and Audio Research AR-93Q. I got a pair of EPIs, I think 100C that have a great low end as do my Nova Six, ELCHEAPO Radio Shack speakers. And I prefer them to the biggest JBLs, Macs, almost anything in the mid/hifi range. No ports. Less efficient. But better sound. the bass is tight, it is almost surprising to some how well controlled the bass is yet still responsive to the lowest octave. Most ported speakers are like, m, , loose. You can control the woofer electronically but you can't control the air. With a sealed cabinet for the woofer, you CAN control the air. there is nothing like it. I stand by this until death, speakers should not have holes in the cabinet. Period. >> >>If you heard my system you would not argue. (not saying you are but...) > >I don't like music. I never listen to it voluntarily.

Music evokes strong emotions in some of us. Some of us go to irrational extremes to get a fix...

Wine Women and Song, are things worth consideration IMO.

Reply to
default

It mostly annoys me.

No objection at all to women or wine.

The only other character that I've heard of that didn't like music was the fictional British sea captain Horatio Hornblower.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I hate it when they do that. First the formula obscures the physics, and second it is not in SI base units. Both are sins, in my eyes. It appears to be in inches and mH, rather than in meters and henries.

It's another variant of Wheeler's formula for air-core inductors. The scaling appears to be for multi-layer inductors, because it is slightly different from the one I use for single-layer inductors.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Do you have Aspergers? A couple of the most capable designers I have worked with do and are annoyed and irritated by just about any type of music.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

Probably not. I just don't like annoying noises.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Well, it's a variant of a formula from the National Bureau of Standards in the 1920s. (I have a copy of the Bulletin C22 that has them.)

The usual simplified formula is

L(uH) = a**2 N**2/(9a + 10b),

where a is the mean radius of the winding, N is the number of turns, and b is the pitch, both in inches.

So suck it up, cupcake. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Here's a handy program with many useful features, calculate turns, or turns per inch, inductance and more. Click on >info< at the bottom of each section to get a clue what the handy functions are. It shows Q and handles Litz wire also.

If you want to go to the main site, see the the last link on the left side of page here, >

Two years ago I did an experiment comparing 5 coils with 7 to 12 turns per inch to find what the optimum turns per inch is for highest Q. I ended up winding a 6th coil with 11 turns, My data showed 10 turns per inch gave the highest Q at 1MHz. This program is in agreement with my experiment. My best 240uh coil had 10 turns of 660/46 litz on a 6.62" diameter polystyrene coil. Q measured 1400 at 1MHz and 1475 at 800kHz on my Q meter. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

You dislike even Chillstep and Metal?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The correct formula is -- not needing the annoying "in inches"--

L = 1uH*(a/1")**2 . N**2 /(9.a/1" +10.b/1")

You'll thank me if one imperialist throws in feet and miles for good measure, or -- God forbid -- psi's or degrees F.

Nobody can object to a formula like that (but they'll make fun of you).

Groetjes Albert

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
none

With S=(pi*D^^2)/4

Of course in metric standard units (ISU or USI system - MKSA).

Reply to
Look165

The correct approach to life is to get a life. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs