Re: More Math I Never Did

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 18:18:25 -0800, John Larkin

Music evokes strong emotions in some of us.  Some of us go to
irrational extremes to get a fix...

Wine Women and Song, are things worth consideration IMO.

Re: More Math I Never Did

It mostly annoys me.

No objection at all to women or wine.

The only other character that I've heard of that didn't like music was
the fictional British sea captain Horatio Hornblower.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: More Math I Never Did

Do you have Aspergers? A couple of the most capable designers I have worked with do and are annoyed and irritated by just about any type of music.

Re: More Math I Never Did
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:16:37 -0800 (PST), DemonicTubes

Probably not. I just don't like annoying noises.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: More Math I Never Did

You dislike even Chillstep and Metal?

Michael

Re: More Math I Never Did

I hate it when they do that. First the formula obscures the
physics, and second it is not in SI base units. Both are sins,
in my eyes. It appears to be in inches and mH, rather than in
meters and henries.

It's another variant of Wheeler's formula for air-core inductors.
The scaling appears to be for multi-layer inductors, because
it is slightly different from the one I use for single-layer
inductors.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: More Math I Never Did

Well, it's a variant of a formula from the National Bureau of Standards
in the 1920s.  (I have a copy of the Bulletin C22 that has them.)

The usual simplified formula is

L(uH) = a**2 N**2/(9a + 10b),

where a is the mean radius of the winding, N is the number of turns, and
b is the pitch, both in inches.

So suck it up, cupcake. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

  Here's a handy program with many useful features, calculate turns, or
turns per inch, inductance and more. Click on >info< at the bottom of
each section to get a clue what the handy functions are. It shows Q and
handles Litz wire also.
If you want to go to the main site, see the the last link on the left
side of page here, > http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/

  Two years ago I did an experiment comparing 5 coils with 7 to 12 turns
per inch to find what the optimum turns per inch is for highest Q. I
ended up winding a 6th coil with 11 turns,
  My data showed 10 turns per inch gave the highest Q at 1MHz.
This program is in agreement with my experiment.
My best 240uh coil had 10 turns of 660/46 litz on a 6.62" diameter
polystyrene coil. Q measured 1400 at 1MHz and 1475 at 800kHz on my
Q meter.
                        Mikek

Site Timeline