Re: Cheap new device to pull capacitors from?

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 09:48:56 -0000 (UTC), John Doe

Buying junk to harvest parts?  On the face of it, that sounds
ridiculous.  There must be something I'm missing here.  Are you
located somewhere where this becomes a feasible option?

There are many surplus shops that specialize in buying up odd lots of
new parts from manufacturers (over-runs, over-stocks, canceled
production).  That seems like a better venue, ditto the ebay route
providing you find a good ethical source.

Jameco, Electronic Gold Mine, All Electronics, BGMicro, American
Science and Surplus (sciplus) etc..

If you live near a technological hub there may even surplus shops you
can wander through picking up what you want.  That was once the case
in NYC (Canal Street, but it is shut down now)  I found several places
in San Diego that are probably still going.

Re: Cheap new device to pull capacitors from?
I really miss Canal Street

Re: Cheap new device to pull capacitors from?

Me too.  My buddy and I would go down to NYC and make a day out of
perusing "radio row."  For $5 or so we find some high tech piece of
equipment to adapt to our needs.

I needed some toggle switches and didn't want to spend the $2.50 a
quality switch would cost, down to radio row and I picked up a
aluminum panel with ~100 wired up switches on it for $2.

When I was in the city a couple of years ago I went down to wallow in
nostalgia, there was one hold-out  (remember the smell of phenolic
resin plastics and varnish?) all the rest was China Town shops, and
one computer surplus store.

The WW2 battleship memorials have that same odor in their radio rooms.

Remember Lafayette Electronics?

Re: Cheap new device to pull capacitors from?

It's been gone so long, most people don't have memories of it, at berst
faded memories.

I only know about it from reading in the magazines, some years after it
was torn down for the World Trade Centre.

But when I first went to buy electronic parts, 1971, I looked in the
yellow
pages,  and picked one store,  I don't remember why I chose it.  And over
time, I came to see that while it wasn't a "Canal Street", there was a
cluster of electronic stores within a few blocks.  So Etco, some might
remember it because they morphed into a mail order place aimed at the US
was the store I went to first, in a building with wooden floors, go down
to teh basement and it's jammed with stuff, much of it behind a parts
counter, but magazines, and surplus etc.  Even in 1972  I could buy a
Command Set transmitter for ten dollars there.

There was some place nearby that sold transformers and motors, and the one
time we went in the owner snarled at us "what do you want?" and we never
returned, but we weren't the only ones who got that sort of welcome there.
There was Payette Radio, a big parts store, but it also had a ham radio
section, where I drooled over the equipemnt, and bought some magazines.
And there was a "new" place, Corenet Electronics, selling mostly
semiconductors, especially ICs, and kind of promoting itself like a
Poly-Paks, where maybe he did get his stock from.

They were all gone by the end of the decade.  Partly I think the
transistion to semiconductors, new places came along that better covered
those, and the stores would have to have complete makeover of their
inventory to be more relevant.  But I suspect  the rents went up, or if
they owned the buildings the offers too good, so they decided it was time
to close down.  That area has been redeveloped since the first time I was
down there.

Some of the other stores, spread around, did live much longer.  One even
exists today, but when I went about six years ago, it had been renovated
and seemed aimed at consumers, rather than hobbyists and repairmen.  I
think a lot of their stock had been industrial surplus, it was like a
grocery store, with aisles of parts and you'd go up and down with your
basket getting what you wanted.  I'm not sure how much of that they still
sell, but if it's there, it's behind the counter.  And the wooden floors
are gone.

   Michael

Re: Cheap new device to pull capacitors from?

I visited Canal Street sometime in the 80's and there was one old
store hanging on.  Had a lot of nice brass wave guides and the usual
bins of stuff, but the prices were way higher than in my youth (60's).
It was obvious that he hadn't added any new stock in awhile too.

You could buy boards stuffed with transistors in the 60s' and that was
the way to buy them since retail they were still in the dollar range.
Some were quite a bit more expensive than vacuum tubes.

Poly packs was a joke, and rip-off.  They advertised "too many to
test, you test em."  Somebody had to have tested them because in a
pack of 100 you might find 5 functioning transistors, and those
probably had high leakage.

Re: Cheap new device to pull capacitors from?

I remember when Digi-Key and Poly Paks both advertised in the back of
Electronics Illustrated, selling apparently the same sorts of stuff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I don't think so.  Poly Paks was around from the early sixties, I think
from reading ads it had a different name to begin with, and were selling
surplus, even in the seventies they'd have stereo amplifiers boards and
calculator boards that obviously had been surplus from manufacturers.

Digi-key started by selling a digital keyer for morse code, and then added
some parts that they sold, eventually getting bigger and bigger.  They
always seemed to be selling new parts, first a limited selection to
hobbyists, then as that did well broadening the line, yet still seeming to
be fore hobbyists, and then somewhere along the way they got big.

   Michael

Re: Cheap new device to pull capacitors from?

<https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Poptronics/70s/1974/Poptronics-1974-09.pdf

See pp. 97 & 99 of the PDF.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

BTW are you the Michael Black that had a website with some simple, low
parts count, switching regulators?

Re: Cheap new device to pull capacitors from?

No.

It's a common name, there was a time when I'd even bump into "Michael
Blacks" in various newsgroups, "it's my name, but I know I didn't post
that".

   Michael

Site Timeline