RCA 4501 Photomultiplier tubes

I have a pair of old RCA 4501 PMT's I would like to use. They were salvaged from a LS unit and appear to be in good shape. I've looked on the Internet for some specifications and can't find anything. Anyone on the list happen to know anything about these units? Thanks.

Henry Barwood

Reply to
hbarwood

Hmm, sure you aren't misreading worn numbers or forgetting or misreading a letter? A quick check of my favorite tube data sites doesn't turn up a

4501. It may also be a house number, not very common on tubes but a PMT isn't an ordinary recieving tube either.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

snipped-for-privacy@troy.edu wrote: > I have a pair of old RCA 4501 PMT's I would like to use. They were > salvaged from a LS unit and appear to be in good shape. I've looked on > the Internet for some specifications and can't find anything. Anyone on > the list happen to know anything about these units? Thanks. >

Hamamatsu still makes vacuum tube PMTs . Here's a link

Burle industries also

I know yours is an RCA but if it's a real PMT (multiple dynodes) this might give some ideas. The voltages get pretty ugly, especially if you're trying to get response down to DC. Basically you load the anode into a transimpedance amp and drive the cathode with a variable negative HV supply. On the 1 1/8" side on tubes I've used ,the voltage varied between 300 and 600 though the tube was rated for over 1000. The dynodes work with a resistive voltage divider down to 0 volts (anode potential). You should be able to get into 5-10 MHz with a good amp. The AD829 works very nicely for this. (MANY others as well).

Good luck and don't get hurt

GG

Reply to
stratus46