Quirky old LCD

I've got an old 16x2 character LCD, no make or model number visible. It uses an SED1278F0A and a KS0065. I can get it to display characters, just not the right ones.

For instance, if I instruct it to display '0123456789ABCDEF' on line 1, it displays '45674567

Reply to
Randy Day

Sure sounds like D2 (the '4' bit) is stuck high.

John

I wondered about that, and checked the signal out of the micro, but I suppose it could be internal. That would suck.

Maybe it's just a loose joint; I'll have to take a magnifier to the PCB.

Thanks.

Reply to
Randy Day

How confident are you in your signal timings? Allow a bit more setup and hold time, a wider strobe pulse and more 'busy' time and see if it magically starts working ;-)

Also, try running it in 4 bit mode. That uses D7-D4 so a faulty D2 input should be ignored. OTOH it could be an internal fault in the controller IC.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

Look out for scrap DAB radios - the 2 that I've opened so far both had 16x2 LCD modules that had type numbers that were easy to find data sheets for.

Reply to
ian field