Question about re-charging batteries

For those of you who may remember me, I am the person with the scooter that operates using two 12 volt lead, acid-free batteries. Finally, I was able to get an "excellent" re-charger, a 24 volt, 5 Amp charger that works perfectly, especially compared to anything that I have been able to buy anywhere. This one has a fan inside, is a three-step re-charger, and has done an excellent job in re-charging "all" of my batteries (having been through the process of buying three sets, all due to a lack of a good charger).

Now, I have an important question: After re-charging the set of batteries that are currently in my scooter, I used the scooter to ride on the one and only road that is on the farm where I live. The road is approximately 1/4 to almost 1/2 mile in length and has a steady "incline" of about 2 degrees (I think that's the correct terminology; in any event, it does have sufficient incline to put somewhat of a strain on the batteries). After doing this twice (at this stage, I am merely "experimenting"), the "power level meter" on my scooter has moved down one "notch," with four notches -- all of which are illuminated).

Now, is this is "best time" to re-charge the batteries? Should I wait until the meter goes down to about 1/2 first?

Also -- I used the new re-charger to charge the other batteries I also have (two other sets), and my wife helped me install them into the scooter -- just did this to ensure that they also did the same thing -- which is that they registered a "full" power in the batteries, which "never" happened using the other charger I had -- a simple, plug-in,

1000mAmp charger that only charged the batteries (at the most) up to 1/2 of normal. When I read that it does more damage using a "cheaper, less powerful" charger to the batteries, I decided to wait for the arrival of my new, more powerful charger.

With respect to these "stand-by batteries, should I "re-charge them" occassionally? Would having them sit for more than a few weeks cause more damage than putting them on the charger for the amount of time to re-charge? The unit takes about 1 hour to fully charge two batteries -- what a difference!

I would appreciate a response from those who have already helped me in the past, or anyone else who may know about this situation.

Thanks,

Mark -- in Florida.

Reply to
mea305

a) Lead-acid batteries loose charge (slowly) over time so the "full" condition is questionable. b) One hour charging on DC simple cannot "fully" complete the chemical reactions needed. (True, the voltage may reach the "full" value but it means nothing). Too fast charging can dry the liquids. Note: Your alternator in car charges by rectifying three phase AC and is limited to ~50A current surges controlled by the battery voltage. This way of on-off charging is much more effective on letting the chemical reaction deep into the plates, giving different meaning to "full" charge. So you have to define to yourself what regiment of battery readiness you want to achieve and find a way to implement it.

Have fun

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

"acid free" sealed lead gel-electrolyte batteries

immediately.

no. recharging immediately is best. But waiting until till half charge isn't much worse.

it really depends on convenience.

Yes. doing that every month or so should be plenty, every 6 months may be often enough.

if you can contact the maker of the batterties they'll have a whole lot of info on how to best treat them.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen