Protecting my arduino against high voltage spikes?

Newbie, I'm afraid, though I'm not doing badly so far.

I've built a digital speedo with an arduino and some LED displays. It picks up pulses from a hall-effect device I've stuck by the drive train of my truck. Currently, the output of the device (which handily bounces between 0 and 5v) is connected straight to an input pin on the arduino, but I'm concerned that because the wire runs near the high-voltage ignition cables for the engine, it may pick up some spikey noisy stuff - is there a basic way I can protect my arduino from trouble?

Many thanks

You could start by using grounded shielded cable.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

connect a 100K resistor between the end of the wire and the processor pin. if you're picking up noise from the ignition add 10nf from the chip's input pin to ground.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Input protection diodes are common on most pics, but it wouldn't hurt to have a pair of external ones to suppress above supply and below ground spikes.

Your power supply should also be safe for automotive use.

Reply to
default