Problem with hum/buzz in amp

I have re-packed ready-made amp to new (prittier) case, and now, even when volume is down to zero - I am getting hum/buzz (not sure about terminology here). When turning volume up it gets proportionaly louder.

How can I slove this problem ? Any tips / solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help offered.

Reply to
janitor404

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > I have re-packed ready-made amp to new (prittier) case, > and now, even when volume is down to zero - I am > getting hum/buzz (not sure about terminology here). > When turning volume up it gets proportionaly louder. >

Was it working correctly before you "prittied" (sic) it up? What was it before you started? Tubes? Transistors? Hand wired? PC board? Metal chassis? Plastic case?

Need more info. Did you take any pictures before / after that you could post?

GG

Reply to
stratus46

OK prettified, my bad (ENL) =)

It was working fine before my "transplant" attempt. It was actually working very well, but enclosure was really butt-ugly. So, I got the idea to "do something" about that.

This is kind of cheap, transistor, stereo amp. Four D2058 screwed to aluminium rail, 3A transformer in P/S block. I am quite clueless about analog stuffs. Metal enclosure, but I think I have tested it with open enclosure, and noise was not there back then. I have retained original wiring, no extensions, no replacements. Just fixed it into new case.

I can not make any pictures right now. Is there anything else I can tell, to make it possible to find out what may be wrong ?

I appreciate your help.

Reply to
janitor404

Sorry, a brain cramp. When I wrote about wiring, I failed to mention that I have extended all pots (vol/bas/tre/bal) - soldered out from PCB and used CAT5 wire to conect them back from the front panel to PCB. Extension length 10-25 cm.

Reply to
janitor404

On Nov 13, 10:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > On Nov 14, 12:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: >

It's possible the metal chassis parts were part of the circuitry which you have inadvertantly disrupted. Examine all the mounts carefully to see if the original mounting hardware connected to any of the copper conductors on the PC board(s). Restoring the connections may cure it.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Fix the power supply.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Ok, now you know your problem.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

I agree, if you brought the pots out with cat 5 you are just beging for hum.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi