printed inductors

or

 Doesn't

e the

to tune.

d.

What about a toroid? (I always want to put to r's in torroid) Or do you get more B field by spraying it everywhere?

George H. (I love SED, say something stupid and learn something new, thanks)

Reply to
George Herold

You get more B by focusing it into a smaller space, but that doesn't usually give you more inductance -- it takes a lot of work to make B, because B is energy density (in fact, e ~ B^2).

Dunno about the length required for an air-core toroid. Should be easy to find from the thin, infinite-turns toroid formulas though.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Yeah, I get to integrate the B field over all space so letting it spread out is a win. (In other ways toroids seem like a nice inductor shape.)

George H.

George Herold

I'd call it an inductor if I use it as one.

Even a straight wire has inductance that increases with length. A PCB trace will, too.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"Spehro Pefhany"

** You have just linked a page from a Kiwi radio ham ??

WTF ??

The wanker does NOT even mention that his question is restricted to single layer coils.

With any number of layers permitted, the solution is more like a sphere with a hollow centre.

Coils made for loudspeaker crossovers were sometimes wound like a ball of wool in a "beehive" shape for maximum utilisation of the wire used.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The only geometries i saw were spiral in nature on one side (shaped either circular or square); inner end of spiral to via withstraight exit to outside of area.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Doesn't

the

That is not an inductor, that is a delay line (transmission line type).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

having

At 4GHz it is not so clear. If you really want to know the tools are expensive (in part to really encourage you to buy platform enough). Like serious 3D EM solvers. Ask Dr. Hobbs.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Not always. The relationship between A (area enclosed) l (length of coil transverse to its axis) and n (number of turns) is not that clean. Crank the formulas and see for your self where the first and second order terms are.

Reply to
josephkk

I've seen them on the plastic PCB used in a laptop keyboard. One on each line, for no obvious reason. Keyboard row/column scanning can't be time-sensitive that way.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
There should be a special word in the English language to identify
people who create problems and then turn around and offer up their own

Le Sat, 18 May 2013 09:53:09 -0400, Uncle Steve a écrit:

Then you have more room to improve your typing skills and speed...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

WTF does that have to do with printed inductors on a circuit-board?

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
There should be a special word in the English language to identify
people who create problems and then turn around and offer up their own
tailor-made bogus non-solutions designed to completely avoid the root
causes of the situation under consideration.  'Traitor' might be a
good choice, but lacks the requisite specificity.  One of the problems
with contemporary English is it lacks many such words that would
otherwise categorically identify certain kinds of person, place, or
thing -- making it difficult or impossible to think analytically about
such objects.  These shortcomings of the English lexicon are
representative of Orwellian linguistics at work in the real world.
Reply to
Uncle Steve

Exactly... :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

or

Doesn't

have the

type).

It could well be that the person that did the keyboard layout thought it looked "cool" and had no idea about its functional aspects.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Doesn't

FK, I dunno. As far as I could tell they were redundant.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
There should be a special word in the English language to identify
people who create problems and then turn around and offer up their own
tailor-made bogus non-solutions designed to completely avoid the root
causes of the situation under consideration.  'Traitor' might be a
good choice, but lacks the requisite specificity.  One of the problems
with contemporary English is it lacks many such words that would
otherwise categorically identify certain kinds of person, place, or
thing -- making it difficult or impossible to think analytically about
such objects.  These shortcomings of the English lexicon are
representative of Orwellian linguistics at work in the real world.
Reply to
Uncle Steve

Doesn't

the

I wonder, could they possibly limit ESD current? A (very) poor mans ferrite bead?

You see all sorts of interesting structures on mass-market boards, like spark gaps on power supplies or a telecoms interface.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

No, I didn't ask about printed delay lines. I asked about the behavior of a particular type of inductor, used as a choke. They do exist.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

Not.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Sorry, but it's true...

We use square zing lanes for two reasons... Delay and reduction of e-line propagation of near by fields.

Have it your way, but that is how I've understood and used them for years.

Now of they were circular in a square location, then that would constitute an inductor.

You can argue all you want about it. It won't change anything.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

No it's true that delay lines are ALSO made that way, but on the board I'm talking about it's a choke. It's conncted to the power supply. You do not connect to power through a delay line.