Pretend temperature rise

Want to see how temperature affects certain electronics components. I know I can use freeze spray to drive temperature down. What do I do to raise tem perature? Tried soldering iron with a piece of metal attached (so the IC wo n't melt) but seems the metal was dissipating the heat so well.

Reply to
M. Hamed

I can use freeze spray to drive temperature down. What do I do to raise temperature? Tried soldering iron with a piece of metal attached (so the IC won't melt) but seems the metal was dissipating the heat so well.

hair dryer?

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to

Heat gun.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

An oven and a good thermometer.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

Also use a funnel with a small outlet to keep the heat in a smaller area.

The air dryer will work if you don't want as much heat and don't have a heat gun.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hair dryer, heat gun, or in a pinch, maybe a small butane torch. I suppose a small halogen lamp could do it, too, but you'll find light sensitivity that way. I've even heard of liquid nitrogen spray bottles (very light spray, one hopes).

Reply to
whit3rd

If it's a small area and you don't need huge temperature rise you can use power resistors and a variable supply to heat them. Place the resistor(s) close to the component under test.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I think I should own a heat gun. Harbor Freight has some real cheapos. But I also like the idea of using another hot component nearby!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reply to
M. Hamed

ow I can use freeze spray to drive temperature down. What do I do to raise temperature? Tried soldering iron with a piece of metal attached (so the IC won't melt) but seems the metal was dissipating the heat so well.

Yeah but be careful, you can melt solder with it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes. Start with a hair dryer. I once bought one small and cheap, never used it for my hair, but it has been real handy for when I needed a small source of heat. I was just using it recently to set some epoxy.

But I've never seen it melt solder, so it seems acceptable as a source of heat to find a problem.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

If you're trying to isolate a temperature problem to a single part, you can freeze-spray a q-tip and touch it to pretty small parts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How does that heat the part?

John Fields