Power supply unit and ramping

Hello all!

First off, I would like to apologize if I'm in the wrong group. This is my first time doing anything with electronics (and I'm not even sure if it qualifies as electronics).

I learned that power supply unit "produces" electrical power.

Now suppose the power supply unit is on, and there is a reset button on it. What happens if I reset it? If the current is constant, then I guess nothing happens, right? Otherwise, the current is set to its "default value". Am I right?

Now the reason I'm posting this is the following question: what is ramping? What is a power supply unit with ramping capabilities?

If someone could explain it in a really simple way, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Rob

I don't think I've ever seen a reset button on a power supply.

The current delivered by a power supply will be determined by the supply's voltage, and the characteristics (mainly resistance) of the load.

I expect that "ramping" means the supply has some means to control the rise or fall of its output voltage as it is turned on or off.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

ramping is a gradual change in value along a continuous scale.

your reset button could cause the ramp to restart, it could reset a protective device, or do something different, it's a fairly vague term.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Some cheap circuit breakers are labeled 'RESET', like those used on outlet strips.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Reply to