power cable question

My laptop uses power cable that has 3 prongs and looks like cloverleaf at female end. I have misplaced the power cable but I have another that has 2 prongs and looks like it could fit once I shave off the plastic. Any of you know for sure if the center pin in the laptop power cable is ground?

TIA

Reply to
Impmon

If you look at the female connector on the power supply holding it so there are two prongs side by side on the top and one on the bottom, the two top prongs are the AC input and the one at the bottom or 'center' as you put it is ground. This is a common AC connector for laptop power supplies and some electronic equipment that has a grounded AC cord.

Reply to
Meat Plow

For safety reasons, go out and buy the proper power cord if you lost it.

The computer should be properly grounded. With the 2 terminal type, the ground will be missing. Without proper ground, the computer chasis can be floating, and this is not considered safe. It can also damage the computer.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

You should not shave off any plastic.

Using the incorrect power cord is foolish in the extreme. Get the correct replacement.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I wish it was that easy. No local stores carry them, only the larger power cable for desktops. Compaq/HP would charge an arm and a leg for one. I checked eBay, there's lots but just about all from chinese sellers who can't state the cables are UL rated. (plus they may be covered in lead)

Reply to
Impmon

UL rating isn't very important. It only applies in the USA. It's the International IEC specs that are important (these are the ones the Chinese use).

GET ONE THAT FITS !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You're modified cable wouldn't pass UL testing either.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black