Power Adaptor Question (NEWBIE)

Before I go and start plugging things in I need to know this one thing. I have a Philips VOIP841, the power adaptors that came with it are 110VAC 60Hz only. I am now living in Belgium and of coarse cannot plug my phone in without using the transformers. It seems easy enough, and cheaper for me to just go out and purchase new AC to DC converters for 220VAC 50Hz.

Original input: Proposed Input:

110VAC 60Hz 220VAC 50Hz Original output: Proposed output: 7.5VDC 150mA ----handset charger------ 7.5VDC 300mA 7.5VDC 500mA ----base station----------- 7.5VDC 500mA

So here is my issue. I have two types of power outputs from my old AC/ DC converter. One is (7.5VDC 150mA) for the handset chargers, and the other is (7.5VDC 500mA) for the base. I have found a universal AC/DC

220VAC converter for the 500mA base. But what I'd like to know is if it's safe to use a (7.5VDC 300mA) converter on the handset charger that originally requires (7.5VDC 150mA)?
Reply to
Derphy

Are 220V to 110V step-down transformers (100W, say) readily available for cheap? They're very common (and fairly cheap) in the Philippines. That might be cheaper than buying universal converters (outrageously expensive here in the US).

You'll likely need to power other wall warts around the house too anyway.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

If the converter is a simple step-down transformer, and the chargers are powered from 110 VAC 50 Hz, they might heat up. A larger converter (transformer) with 220 VAC input and 110 VAC output might be more cost effective, as it can be used for other appliances as well. But you still need to make sure the appliance is rated at 50 Hz. Also, most step down transformers produce an open circuit output higher than 50% of the input, so a small device like a charger might see an even higher voltage, like

120-130 VAC. It might be best to obtain a charger designed for the 220 VAC 50 Hz supply.

Another option is to get a VF motor controller, which sometimes can be obtained cheaply, and set the output to 110 VAC 60 Hz with a 220 VAC 50 Hz input. But you have to be careful to set it up properly.

You could also get an inexpensive automotive type inverter, that takes 12 VDC and produces 120 VAC 60 Hz, and get a 12 VDC universal switching supply (or a battery charger) rated for 220 VAC 50 Hz mains. You could even add a battery to make your own UPS, or obtain one that can generate 120 VAC 60 Hz from the 220 VAC 50Hz.

The chargers should not be damaged immediately if you try them on the converters you have, but they might overheat after a while. So, you can just check the case temperature at 5 minute intervals for about a half hour. If it's not too hot (compared to how they were on US mains), they are probably OK.

It's usually OK to use a converter rated higher than the device, but that depends on the load regulation of its output.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Proposed Input:

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0220VAC 50Hz

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Proposed output:

Just for sake of ease and less clutter around every outlet in my house I'm going to just get a new 220V rated converter. And since it's only charging the phone with two AAA batteries I'm gonna pray that the

300mA do not damage it. I did check my converter that is currently pluged into my transformoer and you're right, it's really hot. I'll guess I'll just unplug it now and wait for a new 220V rated converter. I saw a "Jwin Jac32" on Amazon for $2.00. Thank you so much for your input!!
Reply to
Derphy

Yes it is safe. You can ALWAYS use a power source with a higher current rating than what you need. You cannot go the other way, however. That is you cannot ues a 150mA device where you need 300mA.

Reply to
Bob Eld

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Proposed Input:

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0220VAC 50Hz